No… I did not!
I didn’t dare… did I?
Oh yes, I did!
I added goat cheese to a smoothie. A luscious, sweet, chocolaty smoothie.
With creamy goat cheese, and caramelized pears.
Oh, the decadence!
The idea came to me while discussing with Joann and Nora after I posted this Creamy Chicken, Avocado and Goat Cheese Salad recipe. I just got the sudden inspiration to use avocado and goat cheese together in a smoothie.
For some reason, I often get inspirations like that when answering comments… Not a bad thing I guess, so keep ‘em comments coming guys, they seem to make my brain come up with super bright ideas.
Anyway, I LOVED the idea of using goat cheese in a smoothie so much that I HAD to try it, and the sooner the better.
I just thought that its tangy bite, its subtle saltiness, and delicious creaminess, would add so much to a nice thick, sweet and creamy smoothie.
It would definitely make for the most interesting sweet and savory experience, and you all know just how big a fan of that concept I happen to be!
I have to tell you that I was absolutely right! The combination is just straight out extraordinary. This tastes like heaven in a glass.
As much as I can’t wait to try the avocado / goat cheese combo, I opted to leave it out that time because I wanted the caramelized pear to really shine. And I just HAD to have the caramelized pear in there.
Hey, we all have to make decisions, sometimes. Some tougher than others.
This one was a no brainer, but fear not, though… I’ve got plenty of avocados in the fridge.
You know what that means…
Oh yeah! It will happen. Soon.
CARAMELIZED PEAR, CHOCOLATE AND GOAT CHEESE SMOOTHIE
- 1 bosc pear
- 1 tbsp extra dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 scoop unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp soft goat cheese
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- ¼ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch ground cardamom
- Set your oven to broil.
- Cut your pear in half, remove the core and cut each half into 3-4 slices. Lay the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and dust very lightly with ground cardamom.
- Place your sliced pears in the oven under the broiler, and cook until they turn nice and golden brown and start to bubble at the surface, about 3-5 minutes, depending on rack position. Flip pear slices and cook until other side is golden. Make sure to keep a close eye on your pears so they don’t burn. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- You can make the pears in advance and keep them in the fridge in an airtight container until ready to use (of course, you can do more than one at a time!)
- When pears are cold enough, add all the ingredients to a mini blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer to serving glass and garnish with crumbled goat cheese and a few cacao nibs if desired.