Cherries are in season!!! Yay, yay, and double yay! 😀
For as far as I can remember, cherries have always been my ultimate favourite fruit. Mind you, raspberries are very close behind, if not right next to them. In fact, I’d have a very hard time picking one between the two. But cherries have one little advantage over raspberries: their gorgeous, shiny, deep ruby colour. To me, they look just like jewels!
So anyway, cherries being on sale at my local grocery store, and me being me, well, I went out and bought close to 8 pounds of the delicious fruits. What can I say, I just totally lost all sense of control when I saw this bunch of beautiful, shiny, plump, BRIGHT burgundy cherries all piled up like a mountain of golden coins, looking like some sort of a lost treasure just waiting for me to take home as much as I possibly could.
To my defense, I was planning on freezing some of them… about half of what I bought, in fact. I had every intention to. Really, I swear!
But I think I got a bit carried away… I must’ve gone through 6 pounds already, and not one has seen the interior of my freezer as of yet.
And I don’t think any of them will, to be honest.
Of course, I have made a cherry this and a cherry that, so expect to see a few recipes including cherries in the next couple of days, like these amazing cherry overnight oats, for instance. What a superb breakfast that was. I actually had to eat these 2 days in a row, because the first time I had them, I liked them so much I thought I just had to take pictures and log the recipe. Not that I minded, really! 😉
I have to admit, however, that the majority of the cherries were just, well, snacked on. By me, and me alone.
I’d open the fridge, see them, grab a handful and eat them right there on the spot, as in standing next to the fridge, like some sort of a guilty thief. Then I’d reach for another handful… and another…
I’m a fruit junkie, what can I say.
Guilty as charged!
- 125g cup fresh cherries, chopped
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp bulgur
- 1 tbsp black chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp raw buckwheat groats
- 1 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp grated unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1 tsp agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 fresh cherry
- 1 tsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp grated unsweetened coconut
- Unsweetened soy milk, to taste
The previous night
- Bring water to a boil.
- Toast almonds and coconut in a small non stick pan, over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, pit and chop cherries. Try not to eat them all…
- Add oats, chia, bulgur, hemp seeds, buckwheat groats, toasted almonds, coconut, cocoa powder and cinnamon to a plastic container with a tight fitting lid. Close the lid and give that a good shake.
- Add boiling water and agave nectar and stir until well combined. Toss in cherries and give that a quick stir.
- Put the lid on and refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours)
In the morning
- Transfer to serving bowl and add as little or as much milk as you like
- Top with a dollop of plain yogurt and a fresh cherry
- Sprinkle with cacao nibs and grated coconut
Did you say cherries?
And is that chocolate milk I see?
Care for a bite?