While not your super easy weeknight meal, this dish is way too good to be frowned upon just because it will keep you in the kitchen for a fair amount of time. It’s one of those meals that is good enough to be selected for that special night when you have guests coming over, or you are celebrating an anniversary or any other special occasion, like, say, Valentine’s Day perhaps?
The good thing is you can do a lot of things in advance and put everything together at the last minute. The crêpes, for instance, could be cooked ahead of time, same goes for the cheese sauce. You can just reheat them when you are ready to assemble the crêpes.
And the best thing about this dish, aside from the fact that it is to die for, is that if you don’t tell anyone that it’s actually healthy, no one will know. Trust me! This one gets a D, for decadent!
For the crêpes
- 150g whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup 1% milk
- 2 eggs
- ¾ tsp sea salt
For the cheese sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup water
- 125g low fat cream cheese
- 125g Gouda cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 600g chicken breasts, in small cubes
- 227g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100g oyster mushrooms, in pieces
- Make the crêpe batter ahead of time by whisking all the ingredients together in a large bowl until homogeneous. Let stand for about an hour at room temperature.
- Give the batter a quick stir before use.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over high heat. Pour the batter onto the skillet, using approximately ¾ cup for each crepe. Tip and rotate the pan to spread batter as thinly as possible. Flip over when the batter is set and the edges are beginning to brown. The second side only needs to cook for about 15-20 seconds. Stack finished crepes on a plate and set aside.
- When you are done with the crepes, you can use the same skillet to cook your chicken. Lower the heat to medium high and place the pieces of chicken on a single layer, making sure to leave enough room between each piece to allow for browning. If necessary, you can cook it in 2 batches. Make sure your pieces are golden brown on all sides.
- When chicken is cooked, remove from pan and add mushrooms. Cook them until golden brown then return chicken and reserve.
- For the cheese sauce, heat the oil over medium heat in a small saucepan and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the salt and flour, stir to cook the flour, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk and water and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and continue whisking for about 5 minutes. Add cheeses, stir and remove from heat.
- Add half the sauce to the reserved chicken. Stir to combine.
- To assemble, fold each crepe in 4 and fill the bottom and top part with the chicken mixture.
- Drizzle some of the remaining cheese sauce on top.
- Garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley, if desired.
- Serve with a light green salad