Here’s a quick and easy salad that I put together shortly before Lent.
I don’t think that I’ve invented anything here, you’ll find that this is a fairly classic flavor combination, very “Waldorf-like”, but hey, it’s a classic that truly works, so why not?
Plus, I find this is an extremely convenient way to use up leftover chicken, instead of having the usual Hot Chicken Sandwich, or Chicken Fried Rice…
Don’t know about you, but they both used to be classics in this household.
Well, not anymore!
Oh, not that they are not healthy, far from there. Trust me, there are ways to turn these two classic dishes into extremely healthy meals.
It’s just that, you know, my brain is like “past that” now, and it would probably be insulted if I asked it to make a simple Chicken Fried Rice! ‘Cos, you know, he’s an “artiste”, now, he creates things… So he thinks he’s this real big shot or something.
Yeah… soon it might even request to start signing autographs! I better keep a close eye on it! 😉
Well, you know what? I might very well coax it into creating these two very dishes for me.
A “super duper healthy” Hot Chicken Sandwich and a “do your body good” Chicken Fried Rice.
But hey, if you have leftover chicken in the fridge right now and are wondering what to do with it, well, this salad right here would be a very good option!
It comes together in no time at all and it’s extremely tasty and satisfying.
This salad is the union of a million different textures and flavors. Alright, maybe not a million, but still… It’s creamy, it’s crunchy, it’s sweet, tender, crispy and tangy, all at once.
It definitely is what I call a good eating experience!
Now all of a sudden, I want to be eating this salad again… like now!
Too bad I can’t have chicken for another 4 weeks!
CREAMY AVOCADO, CHICKEN AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD
- 200g leftover cooked chicken breasts, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 avocado, diced
- 25-30 red grapes, cut in half
- 1 red apple, diced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 small endive, shredded
- 30g pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 50g goat cheese
- 2 tbsp unsweetened soy milk (or other milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp unpasteurized honey
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients of the salad and mix delicately until the ingredients are well distributed.
- Add all the ingredients of the vinaigrette in a mini blender or food processor, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss delicately, until well combined.
- Serve immediately