I’m starting to think that my salmon suffers from excessive shyness. Bummer! I was so looking forward to showing him off. Looks like he had other plans…
You see, this salmon was given to me by one of my coworkers, who happens to be an avid fly fisherman. Strangely enough, though, he doesn’t care much for fish. So once in a while, when he goes on a fishing trip, I get to be the lucky one who gets to enjoy the “fruit of his labor”.
For some reason, it looks like that particular fish doesn’t want to show his face to the world. Oh, he was a beautiful specimen allright, you know, he has nothing to be ashamed of… I suspect he’s ashamed he got caught and he doesn’t want his buddies to recognize him or something…
I mean seriously, when I initially oven baked it, my pictures came out absolutely awful, so I swore to him I would not show them to anyone. At first, I thought it was my fault, you know, pictures don’t always come out right, now, do they?
But seeing how the second dish in which he was showcased also came out not so good (in picture, I mean… the dish itself was delish!), I’m starting to suspect that Mr. Salmon must’ve jinxed my camera or something… I mean the pictures aren’t soooo bad, really, but you can see that he is definitely HIDING, as if he was just REFUSING to show his face again… Even with all that bright light, you can barely make him out. Only if you look real hard, you can see little pieces here and there…
He’s really shy, I tell you! (but he’s also reaaaaally good! Shhhht, don’t tell him I said that!)
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot! Some of you might have read in my weekly menu that I had plans to eat mussels at some point this week if they were available at my local grocery store? Well… I did manage to get some, except they were almost all dead!!! Needless to say they went right back to the store. GRRRRRRR!
Seriously, what is it with all things fish being against me this week?
- 225g – 250g whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 250g cooked salmon
- 2 cups soy milk
- 50g sharp cheddar
- 60g low fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water
- Cook pasta according to package direction
- Meanwhile, in large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook mushrooms over medium heat until they are nice and brown on both sides.
- Add onions, salt, pepper and oregano, stir and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli, lower heat to medium and continue cooking until broccoli becomes tender but is remains crunchy and vibrant green, about 5 minutes.
- Add salmon, milk and cream cheese. Stir gently until cheese is melted. Make slurry out of corn starch and water, add to sauce and stir until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add sharp cheddar, turn off the heat and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately over pasta. Garnish with flat leaf parsley.