Healthy? Hell yeah!
Well, except for maybe the bun… I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s almost impossible to find a decent hamburger bun that is made with whole grains. At least, it is around here. So I settled for this “enriched” plain flour Italian bun. The only real healthy alternative was packaged buns made by Weight Watchers, but they looked extremely boring, so I opted them out.
Anywho, at least the rest of the meal is, believe it or not, extremely healthy. The fries are in fact oven baked with only 2 little tablespoons of Olive Oil. Heck, they were much better than MANY a fry I’ve had in my life. And my daughter totally agrees with me on that one. Unfortunately, my son wasn’t home tonight, so he missed that one. Poor him, it seems like he always falls on the healthiest and cleanest meals that I make, and he just HATES them with a passion. Oftentimes, he won’t even eat at all. What a shame. It’s too bad he missed tonight’s supper because I had planned it mostly for him… well, I do have to please my kids once in a while, don’t I?
I have to admit that it really pleased me also. The whole thing was just exploding with flavours! I chose to garnish my burger with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, avocado, grilled mushrooms and a few crumbles of blue cheese. Talk about good! And those fries, seriously… So unbelievably crispy and tasty. Better than the real thing, I tell you…
Take a closer look. Can you believe they are oven baked? Really?
- 450g Inside Round, ground (or extra lean ground beef)
- 1 tsp Salted Herbs
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Sambal Oelek
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 2 tsp Green Olives, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Tomato Paste
- ¼ tsp Coriander, ground
- 1 egg
Oven Baked Fries
- 4-6 potatoes, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp dried Oregano
- For the fries, preheat the oven at 450 degrees Farenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix all the oil, salt, pepper and oregano. Add potatoes.
- Transfer onto sheet and arrange in a single layer.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, turning fries every 8-10 minutes to cook on all sides.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the patties, except the beef.
- Add beef, mix well and form into 4 patties.*
- Cook in a non stick pan 4-5 minutes per side.
* Your patties will be a bit on the soft side, but don’t worry, they will hold their shape once cooked.