I think I’ve been eating more kale in the last month than I have in my entire life.
I really thought that I didn’t like the stuff. Honestly, I did.
The thing is you see, I was wrong!
The more I eat kale, the more I realize that I like it. I think I can even say I’m addicted to it now.
Lucky for you, I didn’t share ALL my kale salad recipes. If I had done that, I probably would’ve had to rename this place…
But I’m thinking there are probably a lot more people like me out there, who THINK they don’t like kale, but who in fact, just have no idea that they do. So I figured I’d at least share a few of my recipes, in an effort to inspire you guys to try that awesome superfood again, as if for the first time…
This one here I find was particularly tasty and very worthy of sharing.
I guess you pretty much know by now that I like my salad to offer lots of contrast in flavors and textures, and that I’m a huge fan of adding a hint of sweetness by incorporating all kinds of fruits. This one here is no exception.
You get creaminess from the avocados, some kind of nuttiness from the chickpeas, a nice little peppery zing from the radishes, sweetness from the apples and raisins, a little bit of a bite thanks to the addition of walnuts, and of course, one can’t forget the hearty crunch of the kale.
As for the dressing, it brings out notes of spicy cumin, sweet vanilla, tangy ginger and pungent garlic.
All that mixed together makes for a definite winning combination.
One that certainly helped me make friends again with the poor, underestimated and under appreciated leafy green that is kale.
Dare give it another try?
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- ½ large endive, shredded lengthwise
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- ½ gala apple, diced
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- juice of ½ a lime
- ½ tsp cumin
- pinch salt and pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch guar gum
- splash vanilla
- In a mini food processor or blender, add all the ingredients for the dressing and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients, including the dressing, to a large mixing bowl and toss until well combined
- Transfer to 2 serving plates and serve immediately, or keep refrigerated until ready to serve. I've had this salad after it had been in the fridge for 24 hours and it was still very good.