Shortly after I created this guy, I started thinking that I needed to try avocado with persimmon. I thought that it would definitely be a winning combination.
But by the time I got to actually try it, my thoughts evolved even more and I got to thinking that I had to add a little bit of green tea to the equation. Matcha Green Tea.
Erm, by the way, here’s a little heads up for you people. I feel a major matcha green tea kick coming… I’m sort of itching to create a Green Tea and Black Bean sponge cake now. I might very well give that a try this week-end, especially since I finally managed to get my hands on black beans. I mean, REAL black soy beans. NOT the turtle kind.
I’m getting super excited now just thinking about it. And psssst… I’ll let you in on a little secret: the beans are soaking! 🙂
But let’s get back on track here, shall we? This post isn’t supposed to be about a sponge cake, is it? If I remember correctly, the title said something about a parfait?
Right! And a parfait there is indeed! Just take a look at this!
I think this one was even better than the avocado and grapefruit version. This one has hints of tropical, hints of honey, it’s lightly sweet, it’s smooth, creamy and a tad crunchy at the same time.
It’s simply heaven for breakfast.
If you’ve never tried persimmon before, I strongly recommend that you do. I just recently discovered them myself, after reading one of Simone’s post over at JungleFrog Cooking, which had really inspired me to give them a try.
When ripe, their flesh is very soft, almost creamy, while their waxy skin remains somewhat firm and crunchy, which makes for a very agreeable contrast. As for their taste, it’s very delicate and subtly sweet, a bit like honey.
Be careful however. Persimmons must only be eaten when really ripe, else they taste extremely bitter. So make sure they are nice and tender to the touch before opening one up. They should feel nice and plump and deliciously soft in your hand.
If they feel more like a baseball, give them a couple of days… and try the grapefruit avocado combo instead!
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ scoop (20g) vanilla flavoured whey protein powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ tsp matcha green tea powder
- 15-20 pistachio, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp unpasteurized honey
- 1 tbsp black chia seeds
- 1 persimmon, chopped very finely (you might want to save a few slices to garnish)
- Add all the ingredients, except persimmon, to a mini blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Pour about half of the mixture into a serving glass and top with about half your chopped persimmon. Add another layer of matcha mixture (save a few tablespoons for top layer) followed by the rest of the persimmon, and finish with matcha.
- Garnish with a few slices of persimmon, unsweetened shredded coconut and chopped pistachios, if desired.