Well, I guess you must’ve figured out by now that I am really into Asian food. I take a lot of inspiration in their cuisine. I like how they use lots of fresh vegetables and fruits in their cooking. However, I find that their meals sometimes tend to be heavy on sauce, so I like going for lighter versions of the same great dishes.
This one is really super easy to make and is much better than take-out, while being way healthier and I bet extremely lower in calories!
Oh, yeah, I know, some of you will say “But is that white rice I see in that plate?” Why, yes, it is. I haven’t made the switch yet to brown rice, mainly because I have well, about 2000 pounds of the white stuff and I would hate to throw it away. But as soon as that HUUUUGE super king size bag is finished (which it should be in about 10 years…) I am switching to brown.
450g Chicken Breasts, cubed
450g Fresh Pineapple, in large chunks
1 Big Onion, in large chunks
1 Bell Pepper (use any colour you want), in large chunks
2 tbsp Corn Starch
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tbsp Tamari Sauce
2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
2 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
½ tbsp Sambal Oelek
40g Ginger, grated
1/3 cup Water
2 Green Onions and Black Sesame Seeds for garnish
– In a bowl, mix the corn starch, salt and pepper. Add the chicken cubes and coat evenly on all sides;
– In a large skillet, coated with cooking spray or a little bit of olive oil, cook the chicken pieces over medium / high heat until they are nice and golden brown on all sides;
– Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl;
– When the chicken is cooked, lower the heat to medium, add the onions and bell peppers, stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, just to slightly cook the vegetables (do not overcook, they have to remain crispy)
– Add the pineapple, stir in the sauce and simmer for a minute or two.
– Serve immediately with basmati rice
– Garnish with green onions and black sesame seeds.
Nutritional Information per portion, including 1/4 cup rice (raw)
Calories (cal): 417
Total Fat (g): 3.16
Sat. Fat (g): 0.690
Carbs (g): 65.03
Fiber (g): 4.081
Sugar (g): 18.223
Protein (g): 31.46
Sodium (mg): 253.52
Chol. (mg): 62.25
Trans. Fat (g): 0.029
In the making
In the pan