Testing, one-two… one-two-three, testing…
Yep, I think I’m good to go!
First off, I want to thank each and every one of you for all the comforting words, prayers and positive vibes that you’ve sent my way.
While I haven’t answered each of you individually, I did read every single comment and email that was sent to me and I appreciate all of them very very much. Your support is doing me a world of good.
You guys are just the best, really! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!
Funny how today’s recipe happens to be one that I know my dad would’ve loved. While he was really not big on vegetables, corn was one of the only ones that he truly enjoyed, along with tomatoes. Plus, he was a big fan of heat, and this gorgeous salad has just the right amount of that. Well, for me, that is. He would’ve liked his way hotter than that! He really liked it HOT!
I found this recipe by googling raw corn salads. It was one of the first results that got returned, and it was EXACTLY what I’d been looking for, almost as if it had been put there especially for me. I mean serously: I had some cooked black beans in the fridge, as well as a few limes and jalapeno peppers, which are all ingredients that I do not usually have on hand.
I’m telling you, the fit was so perfect, it’s almost weird.
And the best part is, I really, really liked this salad. It has just the right amount of everything. It’s fresh, it’s easy to make, it’s super healthy, it’s got proteeeein… Hey, I didn’t even have to change a thing (well, ok, almost nothing!)
Now Susan says that you should leave the salad in the fridge for a couple of hours for the flavors to blend. Well, let me tell you I ate mine right after I’d finished making it, and it was already exploding with flavor! I did have some leftover, which I kept in the fridge for 2 days, and both tasted pretty much the same.
So I would say there’s no need to make it in advance, but you CAN if you want to. You might want to add the avocado at the last minute though, if you are going to make it ahead of time, as the flesh of the avocado tends to turn brown when exposed to air. Doesn’t affect the taste at all, but it doesn’t look very good…
Oh, and of course, if you don’t care for raw corn, by all means, cook it beforehand. Just make sure you cool it before to throw it in the salad. I’m sure this would even be superb with frozen corn…
Bottom line, this recipe is a DEFINITE keeper!
Lightly adapted from FatFree Vegan Kitchen
- 3 ears fresh raw corn, silks and husks removed
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, drained, rinsed and cooled
- 1 medium tomato, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 lime wedges, to serve
- Cut the corn from the cob: Stand the corn on end in a large mixing bowl or plate and insert a sharp knife just at the bottom of the kernels. Slowly cut all the way to the other end of the corn. Turn the corn and repeat until all the kernels are cut from the cob.
- Put the corn in a medium mixing bowl. Add the black beans and all remaining ingredients except the avocado (if you aren’t serving immediately) and lime wedges. Mix well and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate a couple of hours (or overnight) to allow flavors to blend.
- When ready to serve, add avocado, stir and serve with wedges of lime to be squeezed over the salad at the table, if desired. (you should definitely do that!)