I think I have a problem…
I am hooked, totally addicted;
It’s like, I just can’t get enough!
I’m in loooooove!
Who’s the lucky guy, you ask?
Well, sorry to disappoint, but, I’m not talking about a man, here. I’m talking about NUT BUTTER!
I think I might have a condition, really. Before I even have time to finish up a batch, I’m already thinking of the next one… it’s like an obsession! I need jars and jars and jars of the stuff!
And this last creation? I have a REAL hard time keeping my fingers out of the jar. Yes. You read that right. My fingers.
I might have called it Spreadable Trail Mix, but the truth is, I have yet to spread it onto something. I’ve been lovin’ on it with spoons and fingers and nothing else. It just tastes sooooo deliciously good!
But wait, it gets worse! As if the taste itself wasn’t enough, this one actually has a deadly secret weapon.
If you don’t go and wash your hands immediately after you’ve rendered yourself guilty of “finger dippin’”, then the subtle yet exhilarating aroma that’ll hit your nostrils every now and then will make it sound just like that butter is softlty calling your name from inside that cupboard:
Come, come to me honey, that’s it, get off that couch and come to me… you know you want it… I’m right here waiting for you… Come on now…
And with a voice so soft, so delicate, so fragrant, there’s no way you’ll ever be able to resist! So before you know it, you’ll be down half a jar and trying to convince yourself that there aren’t that many calories in nut butter.
Why, alright, maybe there are, but they’re good calories. Right?
I knew you’d agree.
SPREADABLE TRAIL MIX
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 2 cups raw peanuts, roasted
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut shavings
- 50g Brazil nuts, roughly chopped
- 50g pumkin seeds
- 50g dried cranberries
- First off, you will need coconut butter. Now, by all means, don’t go out and buy it ready made. Just buy a couple of bags of dried, unsweetened shredded coconut, about a pound’s worth, and throw that in your food processor. Hit the ON button and let her rip for about 20 minutes. You might have to scrape the sides once or twice, but that’s about it. With very minimal time and effort, you will be the proud new owner of this great big jar of coconut butter.
- Now grab a cup of that coconut butter and set that aside. Transfer the rest of it to a clean jar and keep for further use (or more finger dippin’ love)
- Now, add your roasted peanuts (see this post for instructions on how to roast peanuts) to the food processor and process until smooth and creamy. This should only take a few minutes.
- Add coconut butter and flaxseed meal and process until just incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add coconut shavings, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries and pulse a few times just to blend.
- Transfer to a clean jar, tighten the lid as tight as you possibly can, hide all your spoons and try to keep your fingers out!
- Please, don’t ever blame me for this new addiction…
Can you smell this?