I almost feel like a broken record with that one. I dunno… I sort of get the impression that I’ve done a million different variations on this same subject. Asian inspired dishes including broccoli, tofu, shrimp and sesame.
Well, what can I say? To me, this is the perfect “quicky meal”, the perfect “let’s-eat-some-veggies-and-clean-up-the-fridge-a-little” dish. Or, the perfect “darn-I-have-no-idea-what-to-make-tonight-let’s-see what’s-in the-fridge-and-whip-something-up” dinner plan.
*No, that’s not a tentacle that grew on the side of the bowl… it’s a green onion who, apparently, decided to jump out… The shrimp must’ve said something scary to him!
AND, it appears that I tend to always have broccoli, bell peppers, tofu and ginger in my fridge… 😉 Oh well! But it doesn’t matter what’s in your fridge really. The beauty of this is that you can use whatever veggies you want or have. Everyone ALWAYS has something in their fridge to whip up some kind of an Asian inspired rice or noodle based stirfry resembling dish, now, don’t they? 😉
Bottom line is, you don’t really need to follow a recipe here. If you don’t have the exact vegetables that are in this recipe, don’t sweat it. Use what you have. You don’t like shrimp? No problem! Use chicken, or eggs, why not?. You don’t care for soba noodles? Use rice instead…
This is one dish where a little bit of this and a little bit of that will get the job done!
- 80g soba noodles
- 75g extra firm tofu, cut into ½” cubes
- 6 tail on cooked shrimp (size 31-40)
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ¼ red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 bird’s eye chili peppers
- 2 green onions, chopped (save some to garnish if you want)
- 10g ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp tamari sauce
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- Sesame seeds, to garnish
- Cook noodles per instruction on package. Throw in your broccoli when your noodles are 30 seconds away from being done, just to give it a quich blanch. Drain and set aside when done.
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat it over high heat. When it’s really hot throw in the tofu cubes and mushroom slices and turn the heat down to medium-high. Cook from 5-10 minutes, until nice and golden brown.
- Add shrimp and the rest of your vegetables and saute for a minute or two, then add tamari sauce, broccoli and noodles. Drizzle with sesame oil and toss quickly just to combine everything.
- Transfer to serving bowl (or plate!) and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.