Cauliflower, Spinach and Egg Casserole
Tonight’s meal had not been planned at all. In fact, I had to bump what was on the menu to next week because I failed to read the recipe when I made my grocery list and had not bought enough spinach. Not even remotely. I needed 3 times what I had purchased… So my daughter took a look at what we had in the fridge and came up with this idea. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. And her execution was just excellent.
This is simply steamed cauliflower florets, spinach and hard boiled eggs, brought together by a lighter version of a Bechamel sauce and dusted with, since I was all out of breadcrumbs, a light crumble of Melba toasts and hazelnuts. The result was so good, this could almost be tagged as comfort food. I guess if one was to add cheese to this recipe, then it would definitely fit the “comfort food” bill.
Try it, you’ll see!
- 1 whole cauliflower, cut in florets
- 350g spinach
- 8 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup 1% milk
- 1½ cup water
- 8 whole wheat Melba toasts
- 30g whole hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the cauliflower in a steamer basket and steam over salted boiling water for about 8-10 minutes, until it starts to become tender but remains crunchy.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the salt, oregano and flour, stir to cook the flour, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk and water and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and continue whisking for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the spinach, steamed cauliflower and sliced eggs. Stir to combine and transfer into a baking dish.
- In the food processor, blend the hazelnuts and Melba toasts until reduced to a fine powder.
- Sprinkle on top of the casserole and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until sauce starts to bubble and top becomes golden.