Chicken, Goat Cheeses and Roasted Bell Pepper Pizza
I finally got to have that pizza I’d been dreaming about for weeks! I was about time, too. I had been craving it big time since Easter… You see, we had this huge cheese platter on that day day and of course, there was a lot of leftover, and I was lucky enough to get my hands on some of the best stuff that was in there. In the lot was a very decent size piece of Paillot de Chèvre and when I took it, I knew precisely what I was going to use it for. THIS VERY PIZZA!! Well, minus the roasted bell peppers, I actually got that inspiration only a few hours before I made the actual pizza. I didn’t really want any tomato sauce on it (for some reason, you might have noticed that I am not a big fan of tomato sauce on pizza…) so I decided to make a quick sauce out of half a roasted red bell pepper. What a great decision that was. The flavour combination worked perfectly.
This one might have been a little labour intensive, but very well worth it. The good thing is, I had some dough in the freezer from last time, and it passed the freezer test with flying colours! That’s one less thing I had to worry about. All I had to do was take the dough out of the freezer 2 days prior and take it out of the fridge 2 hours before I was ready to use it. It was FANTASTIC. Just as good as the first time… I am in love with that dough, I tell you. This is now my official pizza dough recipe.
The toppings were a little time consuming… I had to cook the chicken and mushrooms ahead of time, as well as roast the bell pepper, but it didn’t take all that long. Plus, making pizza I find is so much fun, the entire family gets involved, and everyone gets to top their pizza with whatever ingredients their heart desire (if you happen to have them on hand, of course!)
I’m already looking forward to the next pizza night. I’ll let you guys in on a little secret: I still have one dough ball in my freezer! That means I can have pizza anytime I want, even on a weeknight!!! I know, I know… that dough might very well be ready, but it still has to thaw!
Allright then, anytime I want that is at least 2 days away…
All I need is an inspiration!
- ½ roasted red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 kalamata olives
- Splash white wine vinegar
- Splash olive oil
- Pinch salt & pepper
- 150g sliced mushrooms (cooked)
- 100g low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 120g chicken breast meat, in chunks (cooked)
- ½ roasted red bell pepper, sliced
- 6 kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes, chopped
ADD-ONS (AFTER PIZZA IS OUT OF THE OVEN)
- 7 thin slices Paillot de Chèvre
- 20g raw goat cheese, crumbled
- Handful arugula
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Roast bell pepper over an open flame until skin is good and charred. Transfer roasted pepper to a covered container or closed plastic bag. Let stand for about 5 minutes. Remove skin, cut pepper in half and discard seeds and stem.
- Put half the pepper in a food processor (magic bullet type) with kalamata olives, garlic clove, splash vinegar, splash olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth.
- Cook mushrooms (use salt and pepper to taste) in a large skillet over high heat until nice and golden. Set aside.
- In same skillet, cook chicken pieces (sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme and oregano to taste) until nice and golden on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Roll dough into 10-12 inch disc and lay on a baking sheet. Spread roasted bell pepper sauce.
- Top with cooked mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, cooked chicken, roasted pepper slices, kalamata olives and chopped sundried tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and starts to colour on the edge.
- As soon as your pizza comes out of the oven, add your goat cheese slices and raw goat cheese crumbles and sprinkle arugula leaves.