Rainbow Veggie Salad
Loaded with more so much nutritious stuff, this Rainbow Veggie Salad is as good for you and as pleasing to the taste buds as it is colorful!
Corn is in season once again... You know what that means, right? Summer is soon coming to an end and FALL is just around the corner. Or almost…
But I don’t mind, really. As much as I love summer, I think that Fall is the most beautiful season of all. The air gets all nice and fresh, it smells super good and the trees they get soooooo colorful!
Just like this salad… It has the exact same vibrant colors. The yellows and the reds and oranges, the greens, the purple and even the different shades of brown… they are ALL present.
And of course, the flavors and textures are just as varied as the colors. You get the crunchy, the creamy, the soft, the crispy, the sweet, the tangy, the buttery, and salty… all at once, in every single bite. Ah! My kind of salad, really! This one is so sturdy, you can safely make a large batch of and keep it in the fridge for several days. Very convenient when you are extremely busy and don’t have much time to cook… Or want to make the most of what’s left of summer!
Just open the fridge, throw some in a bowl, and you’re good to go!
To remove the corn kernels from the cob quickly, efficiently, and most of all, without sending corn flying all over your kitchen, place the ear of corn straight up in the chimney of a tube or bundt pan (the hole will hold it securely in place), and then, with a sharp knife, cut the kernels off from top to bottom: the kernels will fall right into the pan! Turn the corn and repeat until all the kernels are cut from the cob.
In the picture above, the corn had been cooked, but the principle is the exact same with raw corn. Oh, and you could just as well used cooked corn in this recipe, if that’s all you had on hand…
Now that the corn has been dealt with, prep the rest of your ingredients/vegetables. We’re talking 1 of each red, orange and yellow bell peppers, a bunch of green beans, the same amount of wax beans, a handful of red onions, some chopped parsley, sliced kalamata olives, chopped walnuts and grated Parmesan cheese.
Then, make the dressing by combining some extra-virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard, unswseetened applesauce, lime juice, garlic, fresh thyme, salt and pepper in a small measuring cup.
Whisk all those ingredients really well and pour that vinaigrette right over the salad…
Give everything a good stir… and serve your salad right away, or refrigerate it for a few hours to allow all those beautiful flavors to fully develop
Like I said before, this salad is extremely sturdy, so it can very well be made up to a day ahead of time and any leftovers will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Rainbow Veggie Salad
- 1-1/2 cups raw corn kernels*, (from 1 or 2 ears)
- 1 of each red yellow and orange bell peppers , diced
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup wax beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan, (or sharp cheddar or emmental)
- In a small glass measuring cup or bowl, combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and mix until well combined; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn kernels, bell peppers, red onion, green beans, wax beans, parsley, olives, walnuts and grated cheese. Pour the reserved vinaigrette right in and toss until well combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to fully develop.
- This salad can even be made up to a day ahead of time and any leftovers will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
*Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September of 2012 and has since been completely revamped and updated with better pictures. A few minor modifications to the original recipe may also have been made.