Refreshing Cucumber, Tomato and Shrimp Salad
Looks like summer is finally here, and here to stay!
There’s flowers blooming everywhere…
This particular spot is the king at the moment… I just can’t get enough of this color combination.
I just love how lavender attracts butterflies…
I have never cooked with lavender before, but I want to find a way to incorporate it in at least one recipe this summer.
It’s something I really want to try.
Awwww, beautiful lillies. One of my favorite flowers. Not only are they gorgeous, but they smell fantastic!
If only the little red bugger beetles didn’t find them so yummy. I mean, seriously, how can an insect that’s so beautiful be such a pain in the butt?
I managed to save a couple flowers, at least… Most are filled with holes. What a shame!
At least, that little guy is not doing any damage! 😉
As you can see there’s still a lot more to come…
Soon, daylillies will start making their appearance and may very well find their way to my plate, too!
Ah, I wish it were always summer. I much prefer to be surrounded with flowers than with piles and piles of cold white snow. Brrrr. I hate snow.
But enough with the flowers… It’s FOOD we want to talk about, isn’t it?
I’m getting there. See, in all this bunch of flowers, I also happen to have a few herbs.
I used to have a lot more, but stupid me lost most of them because I decided to put them in planters instead of leaving them directly in the ground, and we got so little snow last winter (not that I minded 😉 ) that they just froze to death.
Still, I managed to save a few… mostly those that I left in the ground.
After spending a little time in the garden, I got inspired to use some of those beautiful herbs to create a super refreshing salad.
PERFECT summer salad. It’s the kind of food that will only make me love summer even more.
Exploding with flavors, full of vibrant colors, it is crisp and fresh, yet so simple and easy to make.
Makes me wish I had access to fresh herbs all year ’round.
- ½ seedless cucumber, diced
- 4-5 baby tomatoes, diced
- ½ frozen corn, cooked, drained and cooled
- 200g cooked shrimp
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, ground
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, add the diced cucumber, tomatoes, cold corn kernels, cooked shrimp and chopped fresh herbs. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add ground fennel seeds, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add to reserved salad and toss ligthly to coat evenly.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and flowers.