Taco Style Salad in a Tortilla Bowl
Another birthday come and gone!
So I am now 38. Great! Glad it’s over, really; I don’t care much about my birthday… I used to, but not anymore. Been disappointed way too many times, so I learned to treat it as “just another day”. Nothing special about it, at least not as far as the outside world is concerned.
Few things worth mentioning, though…
On my way to work I got to do my first hearing of “Awesome as F**k”, Green Day’s latest CD. Awesome, it was! It really set my day off to a great start. You see, my kids and I have this HUGE love affair with Green Day. I could make an extremely long entry on that subject, but I’ll spare you… for now! Funny thing is, that CD came out on my daughter’s birthday and I finally got to listen to it for the first time on mine. Cool!
Also on my way to work, I witnessed the odometer on my truck turning to 200 000 km, somewhere between kilometre 37 and 38 of highway 15. I thought it was odd that this should happen on the morning of my 38th birthday… Weird!
My coworkers took me out for lunch. I got to choose where I wanted to go. Of course, I chose SUSHI! Sushi sans the dollar sign factor. Now that’s what I call a good thing!
My ex and my daughter gave me a dozen white roses, tied with a pretty purple bow. Awwww, so beautiful! I really hope I get to use them in one of my upcoming photo shoots… I’ll have to plan around that. SWEET!
The Habs played the best darn game of their entire season! Wow, what a show. Edge of your seat kind of game. Carey made tons of unbelievable saves, and probably what will be THE save of the year. Lovely!
And this, is what I had for supper on my birthday. Really birthday worthy, if I may say!
- 4 large multi grain tortillas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cup cooked kidney beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn, cooked
- 175g Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ½ cup pickled cactus slices
- Low fat sour cream
- Chunky salsa
- Preheat oven to 400F. Press tortillas in small oven safe bowls (I use stainless steel mixing bowls) to shape them into bowls. Place in the oven and bake until they just start to turn brown. Don’t overcook as the bowls will have to return to the oven later. Remove from oven and let them cool for a few minutes before “unmolding”. Reserve.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender and lightly coloured. Add kidney beans, cumin and chilli powder. Cook until fragrant then add water. Continue cooking until all water evaporates. Remove from heat, divide between reserved tortilla bowls.
- Add a few tablespoons of salsa on top of the beans, then divide the corn and cheese between the bowls. Reserve a few tablespoons of cheese to garnish.
- Place the bowls on a cookie sheet and return them to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and continue building your salad, dividing lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, jalapeno peppers, black olives, pickled cactus and reserved cheese between all four bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Serve with additional sour cream and salsa.