Vegetable Barley Soup
If you read my previous post, then you already know that today was a cold and snowy day, exactly the kind of day for a hearty meal such as this one. A good old vegetable soup.
I’ve had vegetable soup countless times in my life, but I have to say that this particular one was especially good. The seasoning was just right, the vegetables were perfectly cooked, with just a little bit of a crunch to them. I wouldn’t have changed a thing. Guess my daughter knows how to whip up a wicked vegetable soup!
I know what I will be having for lunch tomorrow!
Here’s her recipe:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in large chunks
- 3 celery stalks, thickly sliced
- 3 potatoes, in large chunks
- 1 turnip, in large chunks
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups water
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion. Add the basil, oregano, thyme, pepper, salt and bay leaves and stir to combine.
- Add carrots, potatoes, turnip, celery and barley and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Throw in the canned tomatoes and add water.
- Lower heat and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have reached desired level of tenderness. Add more water if necessary.