Indulge in a good way with this Cheesy Crab & Shrimp Dip! If you are a lover of everything cheese and seafood, you’ll want to bathe in this!
Before you throw tomatoes my way, I’ll give it to you: this Cheesy Crab & Shrimp Dip might be a tad on the indulgent side, seeing as how it contains quite a bit of cheese. But still, it’s good indulgence, you know. I mean, there also happens to be loads of shrimp and crab meat swimming in that sea of creamy goat cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese. Nothing that’s inherently bad for ya…
Plus, it IS the Holiday season after all, so indulging is sort of in order, right? Right!
I’m telling you, if you are a lover of everything cheese and seafood, you’ll want to bathe in this dip. It’s so very easy to make, too, and you can make all kinds of substitutions, if you’d like, to better suit your personal preferences, or the content of your fridge.
Before you get started, one thing worth noting is that this heavenly cheesy seafood dip will have to bake in a 350°F oven for about 35 minutes and then rest on the counter for about 15 minutes before you can serve it to your guests. So do keep that in mind when planning your schedule!
A good option could be to make the dip in advance and then put it in the oven about an hour before serving.
Making the dip itself really couldn’t be easier: in a medium mixing bowl, combine the goat cheese (you could use softened cream cheese instead, if you’re not a fan of goat cheese), sour cream (here, you could substitute mayo, or use a combination of sour cream and mayo, if you preferred), Dijon mustard, sriracha, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix all that with a whisk until well combined, smooth and creamy.
Next, add the crab meat, chopped shrimp, green onion, parsley and grated cheeses — be sure to save a handful of those cheeses to sprinkle on top of the dip later!
Now about the shrimp and crab meat, you want to make certain that you get as much moisture out of them as you possibly can. Squeeze ALL the water out of those cans or pat the meat real dry with paper towels before adding them to the bowl. If you were to leave too much moisture in, you’d most likely end up with a soupy dip… not what I would call desirable.
If you wanted to play it really, really safe, you could even add a teaspoon of corn starch to the above cheese mixture before whisking.
Now mix all these ingredients delicately with a rubber spatula, until well combined.
Transfer the dip to an oven-safe dish, sprinkle with the reserved handful of grated cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbling on the sides and the top has turned golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and a cooked shrimp and serve with sliced crusted bread, or your favorite crackers or crudités.
Oh, and if you’re ever lucky enough as to generate leftovers (ahem, wishful dreaming…) know that this dip makes for a crazy delicious spread once it’s completely chilled! Amazing on toasts, bagels or crackers…
If you’ve tried this recipe, or any other recipe on the blog, please take a minute to rate the recipe and let me know how things went for you in the comments below. It’s always such a pleasure to hear from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and TWITTER for more delicious, healthy recipes!
Cheesy Crab & Shrimp Dip
- 2 cans crab meat squeezed dry*
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked shrimp patted dry*
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the goat cheese (or softened cream cheese), sour cream (or mayo, or a combination of both), Dijon mustard, sriracha, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix with a whisk until well combined, smooth and creamy.
- Add the crab meat, chopped shrimp, green onion, parsley and cheeses (save a handful of cheese to put on top of the dip) and mix delicately with a rubber spatula until well combined
- Transfer the dip to an oven-safe dish, sprinkle with the reserved handful of grated cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbling on the sides and the top has turned golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and a cooked shrimp, if desired and serve with sliced crusted bread, crackers or your favorite crudités.
*Be sure to really remove as much moisture as you can from the crab and shrimp meat or you might end up with a soupy dip. If you want to play it really safe, add a teaspoon of corn starch to the cheese mixture before whisking.