Making your own healthy , Whole30 compliant, Paleo Friendly, Homemade Mayonnaise has never been so easy! This foolproof method is a total life changer. You’ll NEVER buy store-bought mayo ever again!
I had given up on mayo a long time ago. Not that I don’t actually LOVE the stuff… I could easily eat it by the spoonful! Only, store-bought mayo doesn’t do much for you in the nutrition department.
I tried making homemade mayonnaise a few times, but failed miserably. I think it’s too much of an exact science for me, so I had learned to live without it. That was until I did my first Whole30 and stumbled upon this recipe on Picket Fence Paleo. It’s so easy, even a kid could do it. Blindfolded.
And my life was forever changed…
Here’s what you’ll need to make a basic homemade mayonnaise:
- 1 glass jar, which you will use to both make AND store the mayo. Make sure that you use A TALL AND NARROW JAR with an opening that’s just wide enough to accommodate your stick blender. I like to use a 500ml (one pint) wide mouth Mason jar like the one in the pictures.
- An immersion blender. That’s the magic tool that’ll make your mayonnaise come together so easily. And yes, it must ABSOLUTELY be a stick blender. Nothing else will work.
- One WHOLE large or extra-large fresh egg (apparently size does matter here. Make sure you use a large or extra-large egg, else you might need to add an extra one. And if you rather steer clear of raw eggs, you might want to make my Foolproof Vegan Mayonnaise instead. It’s just as delicious and just as fun and easy to make!)
- One cup Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil
- The juice of half a lemon or lime (about 2-3 teaspoons) or an equivalent quantity of vinegar. Any vinegar will do, but my favorite one to use is Apple Cider Vinegar.
- A generous pinch of salt
About the oil, it’s VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU USE LIGHT TASTING OLIVE OIL and NOT full flavor. The latter is way too strong for mayonnaise! You could, however, sub avocado, macadamia, almond or walnut oil for some (or all) of the light tasting olive oil.
And what’s even better is you can flavor your mayo whichever way you like, too!
Fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary or oregano, would be delicious as well. Salted Herbs are an incredible addition! A pinch of cracked black pepper adds a little bit of a kick to it. Crushed chili peppers would add an even bigger one!
And of course, like I said earlier, you could change things up a bit by switching between lime juice, lemon juice or your favorite vinegar!
Alright, you ready? Let’s make us some mayo, folks!
Start with one fresh egg, taken straight out of the fridge. No need to fuss about it, let it come to room temperature, give it a warm bath or anything.
Just one egg. And yes that’s one WHOLE egg. No pampering required whatsoever. I swear. Crack THE WHOLE THING right in the jar. Add the lime juice, (or lemon juice or vinegar) and salt.
If you wanted to add mustard, garlic or other flavorings, now would be a good time to do that.
Pour in one full cup of light tasting olive oil. No need to drizzle or be all fancy schmancy here either.
Just pour it right in.
Now let that sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the egg settle down and find a comfortable seat at the very bottom of the jar, underneath the oil.
Insert your immersion blender and push it all the way to the bottom of the jar.
Push the power button and do not move the blender for a full 20 seconds.
Almost instantly, the magic will start to happen.
Your fabulous mayonnaise will come to life right before your very eyes and quickly start climbing all the way to the top of the jar.
After 20 seconds, the mayonnaise will be almost all the way to the top. This is when you want to slowly start raising the blender until you get to the very top.
Do not take it completely out, though, else you might send mayo flying all over the place!
Continue blending for just a few more seconds.
At this point, you can move the blender around to make sure you get every last bit of oil blended in.
And there you have it. Beautiful, creamy, tasty and HEALTHY mayo!
That wasn’t complicated, was it?
Bet you’re never gonna buy the store-bought stuff ever again!
And now you can brag to your friends and family that YOU can make your very own mayo!
Of course, you don’t need to tell anyone just how easy it really is… that’ll be our little secret!
And this is pretty much how it goes in real time…
Of course, you can hold your jar so it doesn’t move around like that. I didn’t hold mine so you could see what was going on in there.
Fascinating, isn’t it? I could watch this for hours!
***EDIT: If for some reason, this mayonnaise didn’t work for you, don’t throw it out! Turn it into a lusciously Creamy Ranch Dressing instead!
Also too, if you’re looking for the best Caesar Salad Dressing this side of the continent My Evil Twin whips up a pretty wicked version using this exact same technique. It’s a little indulgent, but it also happens to be positively, absolutely Keto friendly! I say you should totally check it out!
NOTE: When I initially created this post, I used a Cuisinart Smart Stick but sadly, it died on me prematurely so I feel I can no longer recommend this product. This is why I am now linking to the Kitchenaid Architect, which I have since upgraded to. It might be a tad pricier but it has proven to be a far superior product, one that I feel very comfortable recommending and that I feel is well worth paying a little extra for, especially if you’re gonna be making mayo on a regular basis (which I’m pretty sure you will…)
Foolproof Homemade Mayonnaise [Whole30 compliant]
Making your own healthy , Whole30 compliant, Paleo Friendly, Homemade Mayo has never been so easy! This foolproof method is a total life changer. You'll NEVER buy store-bought mayo ever again!
- An immersion blender
- A tall narrow glass jar that’s barely wide enough to accommodate the head of your immersion blender. A 500ml (one pint) wide mouth Mason type jar works wonders for this.
- Add all the ingredients to your glass jar and let them sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the egg to settle comfortably at the bottom of the jar, underneath the oil.
- Insert your immersion blender and push it all the way down until it makes contact with the bottom of the jar.
- Push the power button and do not move the blender for a full 20 seconds. Almost instantly, you’ll see the magic take place right before your eyes: the oil will start to emulsify and turn into this lusciously creamy and thick concoction, slowly making its way all the way to the top of the jar.
- After 20 seconds, the transformation should be pretty much complete, so start moving your blender around and up and down just to make sure that every last bit of oil gets well incorporated.
About the oil, it's VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU USE LIGHT TASTING OLIVE OIL and NOT full flavor. The latter is way too strong and will impart an unpleasant bitter taste to your mayo! You could, however, sub avocado, macadamia, almond or walnut oil for some (or all) of the light tasting olive oil.
Likewise, it is of utmost importance that you use the proper equipment, as described.
And if for some reason, this mayonnaise didn't work for you, don't throw it out! Turn it into a lusciously Creamy Ranch Dressing instead!
If you’ve tried this recipe, or any other recipe on the blog, please take a minute to rate the recipe and let me know how things went for you in the comments below. It’s always such a pleasure to hear from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and TWITTER for more delicious, healthy recipes!