So easy to make, so silky smooth and creamy, this Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup is guaranteed to warm your body and soul with every bite!
This soup, you guys. This smooth and silky Butternut Squash soup, it tastes just like a vacation under the sun in the dead of winter…
Seriously! It’ll take you right there! In just about 30 minutes flat, that is! Cuz yeah, it’s crazy easy and fairly quick to make, too!
I say the trickiest part in making this soup probably resides in peeling and dicing the butternut squash. Trust me, though, once you’ve gotten the hang of it, there’s nothing to it! If you need help with that, check out this helpful little video that I put together a few years back; it might come in real handy!
Once the prepping of the butternut squash is out of the way, heat a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat, then add the onion and salt.
Cook until softened, fragrant and slightly caramelized, about 3 minutes.
Next, add the diced butternut squash and spices and continue cooking for about 1 minute, then pour in the water.
Cover the pot and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the squash is super tender and starts to break apart…
Now delicately transfer the mixture to your blender, add the coconut milk and process on high until super smooth and silky, about 2 to 3 minutes.
For best results, I highly recommend the use of a high speed blender such as the Vitamix; No other blender will give you a creamier, silkier soup! If you didn’t have access to one of those, a neat trick would be to strain the soup through a fine meshed sieve after its been processed. That will give it a totally similar texture and silky mouthfeel.
All that’s left to do now is serve your soup while it’s still nice and piping hot!
Garnish each bowl with a little drizzle of full fat coconut milk — or you could use something like crème fraîche if you preferred — then hit it with a few pumpkin seeds and a pinch of finely chopped fresh herbs for a hint of extra color.
If you’ve tried this recipe, or any other recipe on the blog, please take a minute to rate the recipe and let me know how things went for you in the comments below. It’s always such a pleasure to hear from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and TWITTER for more delicious, healthy recipes!
Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups diced butternut squash about 1 small-medium squash
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups water
- 1 can 14-oz full fat coconut milk
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium stockpot set over medium heat and add the onion and salt. Cook until softened and slightly caramelized, about 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and spices, stir well and cook for about 1 minute, then throw in the water; bring to boil then cover and simmer until the squash is completely cooked and starts to break down, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully transfer this mixture to your high speed blender, add the coconut milk and process on high until really smooth and velvety, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve without delay, garnished with a drizzle of full fat coconut milk (or crème fraîche), a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and a pinch of fresh herbs, if desired.
If you need help with peeling and dicing the butternut squash, check out this helpful little video.
For best result, I highly recommend the use of a high speed blender such as the Vitamix; No other blender will give you a creamier, silkier soup! If you didn’t have access to one of those, a neat trick would be to strain the soup through a fine meshed sieve after its been processed. That will give it a totally similar texture and silky mouthfeel.