Crazy Good Creamy Coleslaw
Super quick and easy to make, this Crazy Good Creamy Coleslaw will no doubt become a new favorite of yours! Indeed, the addition of apples and cranberries to this great classic is a total game changer. Just wait ’til you try it!
Seriously, why it never occurred to me to add apples to coleslaw before, I can’t even begin to understand. I mean boy oh boy is this ever a winning combination! It’s like they were just MEANT to be together! Add cranberries to the equation and you get something so good, you just want to eat it ’til the end of time, I swear!
The worst part is I can’t even take the credit for this novel idea… Indeed, this deliciousness was served to me at a party I recently got invited to. I loved it so much I almost ate the entire bowl to myself (and it was a HUGE bowl, too!)
Of course, as soon as I came back home, I had to make a batch of my own. As luck would have it, I’d just purchased a green cabbage, had about half of a small red leftover from a previous recipe, and had also happened to make a fresh batch of mayo, forgetting that I’d just made one a couple of days earlier. So I was stuck with more mayo than I knew what to do with!
It’s almost like it was written in the sky that I’d be making this slaw so I could share the love with all of you.
And now, I say you should totally run to your kitchen to make it, too!
Best of all, this creamy coleslaw is extremely quick and easy to make!
Just shred your green and red cabbages and grate your carrots — use the thin slicing/grating discs of your food processor to get this done quickly and efficiently, or, if you’re in a real pinch, you can even buy those in a bag, pre-shredded and pre-mixed for you! — and throw them in a bowl.
Then, in a separate container or measuring cup, whisk together a cup of my delicious foolproof homemade vegan mayo, half a cup of almond milk (or any other kind of non-dairy milk, really), and a dash of salt and cayenne pepper.
Pour that creamy mayo dressing all over the cabbage and carrots and then give everything a good stir, until evenly combined.
Now throw in 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced, as well as a half cup of dried cranberries, or raisins if you don’t care much for the cranberries.
All that’s left to do is give everything a final stir and serve, or put the salad in the fridge for a couple of hours to allow all those beautiful flavors to meld.
Oh! And prepare to be amazed…
Crazy Good Creamy Coleslaw
- 5 cups finely shredded green cabbage*
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage*
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, (or raisins)
- Put the shredded green and red cabbage as well as the grated carrots in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a separate container, combine the mayo, milk, salt and cayenne pepper; mix well with a whisk until completely combined, smooth and creamy. Pour over the cabbage and carrots and mix delicately with a large spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Add the apples and cranberries and stir well.
- Serve immediately or put in the refrigerator for a few hours to allow flavors to meld.
- Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to several days.