Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Spaghetti
I’ve never been really big on tofu, except maybe for the soft, melt-in-your-mouth little cubes that you find in miso soup. Then the fried, crack-under-your-teeth little cubes that are found in most pad thais and stir fries really started growing on me. I eventually even started craving the stuff. I would even sometimes order “extra tofu”. To this day, I can’t say I absolutely LOVE the stuff and have to have it every day, but I sure appreciate it and enjoy cooking with it every now and then. Now if only my kids agreed with me on that one.
Funny, it seems they can’t both like or dislike the same things. If one likes something, chances are the other one hates it. This certainly holds true for tofu. My daughter only likes the soft one, in miso soup. My son hates miso soup AND the soft tofu that’s in it, but he loves extra firm tofu. Needless to say cooking gets complicated around here sometimes…
Tonight, it was only my daughter and I… and the tofu was extra firm! Of course, she removed all the pieces of tofu that went into her plate. Well, in fact, she only kept the broccoli and olives. Oh well. Her loss. I find this was an absolutely super pasta dish; so nice and creamy and full of flavour. After I created a dish, I usually think of a million things I would change, add, or improve. But not this time. I wouldn’t change a thing to this dish.
But of course, if you don’t care for tofu either, feel free to omit or replace it with chicken ;o)
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- 200g firm plain tofu, in bite size cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- Half a bell pepper, diced
- ½ broccoli, into florets
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 100g low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or chicken if you don’t want to keep this vegetarian)
- 1 cup cold soy milk
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 175g Whole grain spaghetti
- Cook pasta according to directions on package
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until it starts to colour. Reserve and repeat process with mushrooms.
- When mushrooms have taken a nice colour, add onion, garlic, bell pepper, herbs, salt and pepper, stir and cook to soften, 2-3 minutes, then add broccoli, tofu and olives and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Dissolve corn starch in milk. Add chicken stock, milk and cheese, breaking it into little pieces, and stir until cheese has melted.
- Toss in cooked noodles. Stir to combine and serve immediately.
- Garnish with flat leaf parsley if desired