Go Green – Have Some Soup!
The last couple of days have been absolutely crazy for me, and you know what they say, work always comes first! So that’s what I did! I worked, worked, worked.
That, combined with my the fact that I made poor Mr. Salmon look like he had seen a ghost or something the other night and didn’t dare show his face to the world, for fear that he might send his friends after me, I feel like I’ve been neglecting my journal for wayyyy too long! (Hey, that was 2 whole days!!!!)
Hmmm… come to think of it, it looks like I’m not having much luck with fish lately: failed fish and chips, scary looking oven baked salmon… maybe I should stick to grains, or vegetables!
Speaking of which, this soup I made for supper last night is just loaded with all sorts of green veggies. If you’re not big on vegetables, or on tofu, here’s a very good way to get some into that belly of yours! And if you really can’t stand tofu, you can always leave that one out… it would only make your soup a little less thick!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 whole broccoli, florets only
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried savory
- 2 tsp organic no salt seasoning
- 225g tofu, diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 100g fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup soy milk (or whatever milk you like to use)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 150g extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Chopped flat parsley to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and broccoli along with seasonings and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and veggies start to colour, about 5 minutes.
- Add tofu and water. Bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 5-8 minutes, until broccoli is tender but still has a little crunch. It has to remain a beautiful bright green.
- Remove from heat; add green peas and spinach then puree until smooth using a hand blender (or food processor).
- Mix cornstarch into milk and add to soup. Stir and give another quick boil.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve immediately (garnish with flat parsley, a little bit of the grated cheese and a few green peas)