Light and Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
Quick and easy to make, these Light and Fluffy Vegan Pancakes are the ultimate comforting Sunday breakfast! Guaranteed to please everyone – no one will never know they’re made with whole wheat flour!
I’ll give it to you, pancakes are probably not the best breakfast option one could go for, nutrition-wise… But sometimes, you know, one finds themselves in need of a good old plain, comforting, lazy Sunday morning breakfast. And I don’t think anything fits that description quite better than a stack of warm, fluffy pancakes covered with a generous pour of pure liquid gold, aka, maple syrup!
And sometimes, well, you gotta indulge a little… so when that craving for a comforting breakfast hits me, those delicious light and fluffy vegan pancakes are just the thing! And plus, I have removed some of the guilt and made a bit healthier by adding whole wheat flour to them; but really, they are so totally yummy and fluffy and light and airy and moist, that no one will even notice that at all…
On top of being utterly delicious, this pancake recipe is also super quick and easy to make. I get the feeling you will love it just as much as I do; in fact, it’s probably about to become your new go-to… And you’ll probably want to know it by heart, too!
To start, combine the dry ingredients, i.e. flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk well until all the ingredients are fully combined.
Next, in a large measuring cup, combine the cashew milk (or other non-dairy milk of your choice), maple syrup, avocado oil (or other neutral tasting oil of your choice) and vanilla extract; stir well and add that to the dry ingredients.
Mix all the ingredients well with a whisk until a thick dough forms, and then add the carbonated water.
Now here’s a bit of a surprising information for you: Not only does the carbonated water help in making the pancakes super light and fluffy, but it also acts as an egg replacement! That’s right! Carbonated water makes for an awesome egg replacement in products that are meant to be light and fluffy. So whatever you do, DO NOT substitute or leave it out.
Now stir delicately with a whisk until the batter loosens up and just comes together. Don’t overwhisk the batter, as you want to preserve the fizzing, aerating action of the carbonated water, and overmixing would likely result in tough, chewy pancakes.
Now that your batter is ready, heat a little bit of oil in a non-stick pan set over moderate heat. Working in batches, drop 1/3 cup measures of batter into the pan and cook until the tops become sort of matte and dull looking, pancakes are puffy and edges appear cooked, about 30 to 45 seconds.
Very delicately flip the pancakes and continue cooking until undersides are golden brown and pancakes are cooked through, about 30 seconds.
Repeat until you run out of batter; you should have enough to make about 12 pancakes. You might want to place the cooked pancakes in a very low temp oven to keep them warm while you work on the remaining pancakes.
Stack your beautiful fluffy pancakes as high as you want, and serve them warm, topped with a little dollop of vegan butter and a generous drizzle of pure maple syrup.
And now? Dig in! Happy lazy Sunday morning to you…
Light and Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cashew milk, or other dairy-free milk of your choice
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or other neutral tasting oil of your choice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup carbonated water*
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and salt; whisk until well combined.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the milk, maple syrup, oil and vanilla extract; stir well and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a whisk until a thick dough forms.
- Add the carbonated water and delicately stir with a whisk until the batter loosens up and comes together; don't overwhisk as you want to preserve the fizzing, aerating power of the carbonated water, and overmixing will result in tough, chewy pancakes.
- Heat a little bit of oil in a non-stick pan set over moderate heat. Working in batches, drop 1/3 cup measures of batter onto pan and cook until the tops become sort of matte and dull looking, pancakes are puffy and edges appear cooked, about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Very delicately flip the pancakes and continue cooking until undersides are golden brown and pancakes are cooked through, about 30 seconds.
- Repeat until you run out of batter; you might want to place the cooked pancakes in a very low temp oven to keep them warm while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- Serve warm, topped with a little dollop of vegan butter and a generous drizzle of pure maple syrup.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please take a minute to rate the recipe and let me know how things went for you in the comments below. It’s always such a pleasure to hear from you!
You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and TWITTER for more delicious, healthy recipes!
One Comment on “Light and Fluffy Vegan Pancakes”
These look absolutely bomb!