Luscious Hot Chocolate Smoothie
I know I said I would be giving you guys a break with my smoothies…
But you see, this one isn’t really a smoothie…
It’s like a nice, warm, comforting cup of luscious and deliciously warm hot cocoa…
Although, that’s not really true…
For you see, it really is a smoothie.
Only it’s warm. And it tastes just like a cup of velvety, thick and decadent hot cocoa.
But really, it’s a smoothie.
And, truth be told, it’s healthy as can be!
But I won’t tell anyone if you don’t. 😉
Confused? I don’t blame you. I was too when I enjoyed this baby as a post work-out breakfast the other day. I just couldn’t believe how good it was. It was like, way too good to be true.
No word of a lie, this has got the be the best cup of hot chocolate I’ve had in my entire life. So rich, so thick and creamy, with such a deep dark chocolate flavor and a little kick from the cayenne pepper.
It was plain comfort in a bowl.
Now, when you look at the list of ingredients, you’ll probably go like “Ewww, but you’ve got pumpkin puree in there? Now, I don’t mind pumpkin puree in pumkin anything, but in a cup of hot cocoa? Won’t it just ruin the whole thing?”
The answer is no. Don’t worry about it. In fact, I think if you didn’t know that there was pumpkin puree in this, you wouldn’t even be able to tell that it’s there. It doesn’t do much for the taste. What it does do, however, is confer an unbelievably silky and velvety texture to this drink.
This, right here, has got to be the perfect winter smoothie. Imagine going out on a cold morning and coming home to one of these?
I mean really, isn’t that the bomb?
Now you CAN, when you come home from spending some time out in the harsh cold of winter, fix yourself a nice cup of hot chocolate and not feel the least guilty about it. In fact, you should feel super good, for this is a gorgeous post work-out meal. Halve that recipe and you got yourself an excellent snack.
Or better yet, share with a friend, husband, partner or kid. Oh, I’m sure even kids would go for this one, minus the cayenne, maybe…
And of course, if you like your hot chocolate to be a bit more on the sweet side, feel free to add a little bit of honey.
Hey, you could even start prepping this ahead of time if you wanted to, and heat it up when you get home.
But really, who said you absolutely had to go out and face the winter cold.
This will taste just as good if you didn’t…
And again, I won’t tell anyone, promise!
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- ¾ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 heaping tbsp extra dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs (optional)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp four spice
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Splash pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pasteurized egg whites
- 2 tbsp vanilla flavored whey protein powder
- More cacao nibs for garnish, if desired
- Add all ingredients through vanilla to your mini blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring often, until very warm. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg whites in a large mixing bowl until slightly frothy. Add protein powder and whisk until well incorporated.
- Very slowly pour hot chocolate mixture over egg whites while constantly whisking. This will ensure tempering of the eggs and will prevent them from cooking.
- Transfer to drinking bowl or cup, garnish with cacao nibs and a very little sprinkle of cayenne pepper, if desired.
So rich and creamy!
Thick enough for you?
Can you tell that this girl was REALLY enjoying her cup of hot cocoa?
Taking away some of the magic… here’s the set-up for this one!
These lights? Best 200 bucks I ever spent!