Christmas Worthy Tiny Little Chicken Meatloaves
I’ve never really been a big fan of meatloaf.
Probably because I didn’t care much for the way it was being served…
Or maybe it was because I’ve always associated meatloaf with ketchup and, well, call me weird, but I never liked ketchup. In fact, if you ever came to my house for supper and really wanted to insult me (and those who know me know NOT to do that) simply ask me if I have any ketchup to go with your meal.
So anyway, by the time I finally learned to make my own meatloaf and started to actually enjoy it, I also happened to make
a few several major changes in my life and pretty much gave up on eating beef, ESPECIALLY ground beef.
When I got a major craving for meatloaf the other day, I figured I had to find a way to make it happen. Of course, I could’ve ground my own beef, but for some reason, it just didn’t sound right to me.
Beef was not what I was after.
I guess I was left with no other alternative than to use chicken…
Chicken meatloaf… why not?
I know, I know, I haven’t invented anything here, but it would never have occurred to me before. To me, meatloaf had to be made with either beef or pork.
But really, using chicken turned out to be a very good decision. I don’t think I’d ever had meatloaf that good before. And I guess I must’ve been inspired by the fact that Christmas was just around the corner when I selected my spices and seasonings, because let me tell you, this one would fit right in at the Christmas table.
If you are looking for an alternative to the traditional roasted turkey, this could be it right here.
I would certainly consider it… but I’m not sure the kids would agree, though.
For some people, there are certain traditions are better left untouched, you know… 😉
- 750g chicken breast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried parsley
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp unpasteurized honey
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp four spice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 whole eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Coat 4 mini loaf pans with cooking spray, or brush lightly with olive oil. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1″ cubes and transfer to your food processor. Using the pulse setting, process the meat until it’s completely ground.
- Transfer the ground chicken meat to a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly until very well combined.
- Divide that chicken mixture between your reserved loaf pans and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the top is nice and golden brown. Note that if you choose to do a single loaf instead, it might require a little longer cooking time.
- Remove meat loaves from oven and set to cool for about 5 minutes before removing them from the pans.
- Slice each loaf into 6-8 slices and serve immediately.