Healthier Chicken Quesadillas
Super quick and easy to make, these healthier Chicken Quesadillas are loaded with chicken, corn, olives and just what it takes of cheese to bind it all together. With their explosion of Mexican flavors, kids and adults alike will love ’em!
Chicken Quesadillas, to me, they’re like a crazy delicious kicked up Mexican Grilled Cheese that’s not only loaded with all kinds of hot and spicy flavors, but also with tons of chicken, caramelized onions, corn and olives, as well as just what it takes of cheese to bind all of this deliciousness together as it slowly melts…
And contrary to grilled cheeses, where I find that sometimes the bread tends to get in the way and take all the space (you know me and bread, right?) with quesadillas, all this yummy stuff gets packed firmly between 2 thin flour tortillas that merely serve the purpose of carrying the goods to your mouth, in the most pleasant, soft, and discreet way.
But mainly, what I like most about them is that they are incredibly delicious, super nutritious, crazy quick and easy to make, and are guaranteed to please all, adults and kids alike!
First, you’ll need to make the filling; to do that, heat about one tablespoon of olive oil In a large skillet set over medium heat, and then add the onion; cook until softened and slightly caramelized, about 2-3 minutes, and then add the [millions of] spices…
Next, add the shredded chicken meat and stir to coat well.
Now stir in the black olives, corn kernels and water…
…and cook until everything is heated all the way through, about 2 minutes; Set that aside for now.
It’s now time to start building the actual Quesadillas!
Place a medium skillet over that heat source you were just using (it should still be set to medium) and add about a teaspoon or so of oil to it. Add 1 flour tortilla and sprinkle it with about one quarter of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Now top this with about half of the reserved chicken mixture…
…followed with another sprinkle of cheese, about the same amount you used before.
Finally, cover all that with a second tortilla and press it down firmly, to help the cheese do its job at binding everything together…
You may use your hand at this point, since the top tortilla is cold, but you’re probably gonna want to switch to a spatula once you’ve flipped this baby over!
Cook for a few minutes, until golden brown on the bottom and carefully flip the quesadilla over (I find it really helps to use a plate to do that!) to cook the other side until golden brown, pressing it down firmly once again as it cooks, using a spatula, this time!
Remove the finished quesadilla to a plate and repeat this entire process to make a second quesadilla with the remaining ingredients, then slice your quesadillas and serve promptly to your hungry family, with some salsa and sour cream on the side, if desired.
healthier Chicken Quesadillas
- 200 g shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 8" whole wheat flour tortillas
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and then add the onion; cook until softened and slightly caramelized, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the spices and stir well, then add the shredded chicken and stir to coat well.
- Stir in black olives, corn kernels and water and cook until heated all the way through, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Place a medium skillet over the heat source and add a teaspoon or so of oil to it. Add 1 flour tortilla, sprinkle with about one quarter of the shredded cheese, then top with half of the chicken mixture, followed with another sprinkle of cheese and finally, cover with a second tortilla and press it down firmly.
- Cook for a few minutes, until golden brown on the bottom and carefully flip the quesadilla over to cook the other side until golden brown.
- Remove the finished quesadilla to a plate and repeat this entire process to make a second quesadilla with the remaining ingredients, then slice and serve with some salsa and sour cream, if desired.