Mango and Chicken Wild Rice
I didn’t really know what I was doing with that one. I only had half an inspiration. All I knew is I wanted wild rice, chicken and mango. I didn’t really know how I was going to bring all those flavors together. I was a bit at a loss, really, especially I had never cooked anything with mango before. So I just took it one ingredient at a time and went with the flow. The result was not too shabby, I must say. The only thing I think I might add next time is toasted slivered almonds.
Here’s the recipe (I was cooking for 2 tonight)
- 1/3 cup wild rice
- ½ cup brown basmati rice
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ mango, diced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- generous pinch hot pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Soak the wild rice in cold water for an hour prior to cooking.
- Rinse wild rice and basmati rice, add to saucepan with 2 cups of water and ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes or until all water has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, coat a skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, then turn each piece to cook the other side. Add onion, cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden, then add mango, lemon juice, vinegar, hot pepper flakes and honey.
- Toss in rice and parsley. Stir and serve immediately.