This crazy good Chunky Guacamole is the ultimate healthy and delicious crowd-pleaser dip! Made with nothing but fresh, wholesome ingredients, it’s packed with an insane amount of flavor, yet requires only 6 easy-to-find ingredients and 15 minutes of your time to whip up!
Did I ever tell you just how much my boyfriend LOVES guacamole? He gets excited like a kid on Christmas morning whenever I whip up a batch… The good thing is, I’ve been making guacamole so often in the past year that I really upped my game when it comes to making guac. Well, especially after our trip to México last year, where I learned a thing or two about what makes a truly good authentic guacamole! I used to make things so complicated by adding all kinds of spices and unnecessary ingredients to my guac, but there, I’ve come to realize that a truly good guacamole is all about simplicity: the ingredients that go into it are already packed so full of flavor, you just want to let them shine, without anything getting in the way.
And now — for some pretty exciting news! — I’ll soon have another very good, and perhaps even better occasion to perfect the art of making guacamole, as I will be spending most of the next winter in beautiful Costa Rica! That’s right: I will soon be enjoying la pura vida in CR for 3 whole months. I don’t know yet whether I’ll be able to blog from there, but that certainly is the plan! I might not be able to post as often, but cross my fingers that I’ll at least be able to share a few authentic Costa-Rican recipes with you, learned straight from the locals. Is that grand, or what? For sure, it’ll be an entirely different experience, and to be honest, I absolutely cannot wait. After so many years working/sitting at a desk, staring at a computer screen — okay, and sometimes cooking too! — this comes as a much needed change of scenery!
But enough about this for now, let’s get back to our ultimate chunky guacamole, shall we? I’m not kidding when I say it’s the ultimate guacamole recipe. It really is that good. In fact, it totally is the easiest, tastiest, healthiest and fastest disappearing dip you will ever make. And there’s absolutely nothing to it, really. It’s stupid easy. You will soon be known as the queen, or king, of guacamole! So long as you follow a few very simple rules…
You ready for this? Let’s go!
A FEW TIPS TO MAKE YOUR GUACAMOLE REALLY ULTIMATE…
- Avocados: Be sure they’re good and ripe! When an avocado is ripe, its skin turns dark green; the darker the color, the riper the fruit. Also, its flesh should yield when you hold it in the palm of your hand and apply gentle pressure to it. Bonus points if you use organic, as they are so much tastier and have this gorgeous vibrant color to them. Well, same goes for all the other ingredients, for that matter…
- Tomatoes: They bring much flavor, color and texture to the party! I prefer to remove the seeds, though, as I find they add too much moisture and make the guac kinda soft and mushy. Feel free to leave them in, though, if you don’t mind them!
- Sweet onions: I’m a big fan of white, but red onions are also totally acceptable. Avoid using yellow onions, as their flavor is simply too harsh for guac.
- Cilantro: A total must for a true authentic experience. However, if you happen to be one of those people who absolutely cannot stand cilantro (I used to be one of them!) then you can sub flat parsley, or just plain leave it out.
- Jalapeño peppers: Adds an agreeable little kick, without making the dip hot in the slightest. Be sure to remove the seeds, though, unless you’re a fan of heat!
- Lime juice: Please, if at all possible, use freshly squeezed!!! Nothing beats freshly squeezed!
- Salt: By all means, don’t leave this one out! That’s the one key ingredient that will boost and elevate all of those yummy flavors for you!
Alright, so now place all those lovely ingredients, save for the avocados, in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir delicately to combine.
You basically have Pico de Gallo right here… In fact, I often make both pico and guac simultaneously, so what I do is grab a little bit of that pico and then mash it right in with some ripe avocados, to turn them into instant guac. How much pico I use depends on how many avocados I mash up!
Now, time to add those avocados… What I like to do is score the flesh of the avocados with a sharp knife, — without actually getting to the skin — to sort of pre-dice them…
I then use a large spoon to scoop the pulp right out and into the bowl; having the avocado diced like this makes the mashing operation easier, and less destructive on the other ingredients.
See what I mean about organic avocados? Look at the color of these babies! And they taste SOOOO much better, too!
All that’s left to do now is mash the avocado with a fork, mixing it in with the rest of the ingredients as you go, while making sure to leave some larger chunks of avocado for texture. Be careful not to overmash!
Finally, let your beautiful yummy chunky guacamole sit for about 15 minutes before serving, to allow all those wonderful flavors to meld and fully develop. Hard, I know… but trust me, it’s very well worth it!
Guacamole is best served fresh, but if you must make it ahead of time, or if you had leftovers to store, be sure to keep it in an airtight container AND apply a piece of plastic film right against the entire surface of the dip to prevent discoloration. This way, your guacamole should keep fresh and tasty for up to several days.
But that’s a big if… seriously. I honesty doubt that it’ll last this long!
If you’ve tried this recipe, or any other recipe on the blog, please take a minute to rate the recipe and let me know how things went for you in the comments below. It’s always such a pleasure to hear from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and TWITTER for more delicious, healthy recipes!
This crazy good Chunky Guacamole is the ultimate healthy and delicious crowd-pleaser dip! Made with nothing but fresh, wholesome ingredients, it's packed with an insane amount of flavor, yet requires only 6 easy-to-find ingredients and 15 minutes of your time to whip up!
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 1 medium ripe tomato seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely minced white onion
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place the diced tomato, jalapeño pepper, chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir delicately to combine.
- Score the flesh of the avocados with a sharp knife and scoop the pulp right into the bowl; mash the avocado with a fork, mixing it in with the rest of the ingredients as you go, while making sure to leave some larger chunks of avocado for texture.
- Let sit for about 15 minutes to allow flavors to meld and fully develop before serving.
- Guacamole is best served fresh, but if you must make it ahead of time, or if you had leftovers to store, be sure to keep it in an airtight container AND apply a piece of plastic film right against the entire surface of the dip to prevent discoloration. This way, your dip should keep fresh and tasty for up to 2-3 days.