It’s been a while since I’ve last given you a pizza recipe, hasn’t it?
Well, if it hasn’t, it sure feels like it to me.
When I ate that pizza, it felt like it had been AGES since I’d last indulged in one of them.
Really, I have to start doing this more often. Pizza once a month. That wouldn’t be too much, now, would it?
I think I should make it a New Year’s resolution: come up with a new crazy healthy pizza combination at least once a month.
Would any of you complain about that?
I thought not!
Now, this last creation might not be the most original, crazy and strange combination that I’ve ever come up with, I mean, I didn’t add any raisins to it (hmmm, raisins on a pizza? Now here’s something to keep in mind…) but hey, I had a bunch of asparagus as well as some button mushrooms that I needed to use up…
I thought why not turn them into great pizza toppings?
And that’s exactly what I did!
While not necessarily super imaginative, this particular pizza turned out stunningly delicious.
Of course, there’s no tomato sauce on it. I chose to make a quick bechamel using green onions and garlic as a base for flavor. That was a really great call!
Oh, and did I ever tell you just how much I love that crust? I mean, come on, just look at it!
It’s absolutely, stunningly gorgeous. Worthy of the best pizzerias, let me tell you. I think I like it more every time I make it.
Now, what I really want is to get me a pizza stone and see if it makes a difference.
But seriously, I’m not sure that it could really get any better than this!
Still worth a try, I guess… I mean, making an already incredibly good thing even better?
I’m all for that!
SHAVED ASPARAGUS AND MUSHROOM PIZZA
(For one 10-12 inch pizza)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- Pinch salt & pepper
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 12 asparagus, shaved (use a vegetable peeler)
- 75g low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 25g emmenthal cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add green onions, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add flour and whisk to combine. Slowly pour in milk and whisk until sauce becomes thick and “smooth” and flour is fully cooked, about 2 minutes. Feel free to add a little bit more milk if you feel the sauce is too thick, but keep in mind that you do want it to be on the thick side. A sauce that is too thin will result in a soggy pizza dough.
- Roll dough into 10-12 inch disc and lay on a baking sheet.
- Spread “bechamel” sauce and top with half the mushrooms, then add mozzarella cheese, shaved asparagus, followed by the rest of the mushrooms and finally emmenthal cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and starts to colour on the edge.