Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
I told you this was coming. Just thinking about it the other day gave me a serious craving for a good warm bowl of oatmeal. Well, it finally happened this morning. I traded my usual breakfast cereal for this. I really love my cereal and am always reluctant to skip even a day, but once in a while, I make the “sacrifice”. It’s usually worth it… that bowl of oatmeal was major HMMMM HMMMM GOOD stuff.
Here’s how I made it.
For one serving (one mega huge serving though, this could’ve easily served two, but it was a big post workout breakfast for me) I used:
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 1/4 tsp 4 spice (nutmeg, ginger, pepper and cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g apple, diced and slightly cooked in a skillet with a good dose of cinnamon (I make large batches of these and keep them in the freezer in freezer bags)
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- 10 grams sliced almonds, roasted
- 1 tsp honey
- Bring soy milk and water to the boil, add salt, spices and oatmeal, lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until all liquid has absorbed
- Add the apples, stir, and transfer onto a serving bowl. You can add a little bit of soy milk if desired
- Garnish with cottage cheese, almonds and a drizzle of honey
- Now sit back and enjoy!