WOW! I can’t believe that I’m just about to hit the 2500 fans mark on my Facebook page.
Simply can’t believe it. I’m a little bit shocked, to be honest.
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that the number would get this high!
So please, guys, let me take a moment to thank you, from the bottom of my heart. You are the best followers in the whole wide world and I am truly, sincerely honoured.
Hey, as a token of my gratitude, let me offer you this… egg white omelet recipe?!?!?!
Whoa… wait a minute. There’s something wrong with that picture.
An egg white omelet?
I mean, this seriously calls for celebration! Shouldn’t there be cake or something?
Or at least something really decadent looking?
Something with chocolate, maybe?
Well, sorry to disappoint guys, I don’t have anything of the sort on hand.
But tell you what. I promise that when I hit the 5000 mark, I’ll give you the bestest, most decadent healthy dessert ever. A healthy molten chocolate cake, maybe? Sure sounds good to me. Unless of course, you have something else that you’d like to suggest? Please feel free to share, I’d be more than happy to hear!
But for now, I’m afraid we’ll have to make do with this omelet…
Hey, it might not be cake, but it’s VERY good nonetheless.
If I had my way, I would have an egg white omelet for lunch every single day of the week. Unfortunately, it would be kind of hard to whip one up at work. And microwaved omelets just don’t sound that appealing to me.
I like to eat my omelettes piping hot and fresh out of the pan, thank you very much.
Unless of course, I have to take pictures… which is pretty much torture. All I wanna do is DIG IN!!!
Funny thing is I’ve never was never a real fan of omelets, until I discovered them in their “white” version.
There’s just something about them that I totally, completely dig. I think they are a tad fluffier, or chewier maybe? I don’t know exactly what it is, but I really LOVE them.
And the best thing about them is that you can eat them without feeling guilty in the least. They are such a great source of lean protein and contain so very little fat and calories, it makes them an ideal choice for a quick and easy light yet satisfying meal.
I like to eat them plain, with just a few fresh herbs, salt and pepper, or better yet, stuff them with all sorts of vegetables, nuts, seeds and cheeses. Or how about a handful of sliced olives, maybe? Got some leftover chicken? Why not, just throw it in there!
Yeah, I also like to let my imagination go wild, sometimes!
In fact,I’m surprised that I haven’t come up with anything too funky thus far… but hey, just you wait for it! 😉
This time, I chose to go with a great classic and give it just a little bit of a twist: pan fried mushrooms and green onions with a few crumbles of goat cheese.
Can’t go wrong with that!
Unless of course, you don’t like mushrooms… 😉
- ¾ cup pasteurized egg whites (that’s 6 egg whites)
- ½ tsp fresh basil, chopped
- Pinch salt and pepper
- About 6-8 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- About 20g unripened goat cheese
- Coat a medium (10”) non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat
- Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until nice and golden brown, then flip to the other side and cook until that side gets nice and brown.
- Add green onions and cook until fragrans, about a minute. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean, coat with more cooking spray and return to heat.
- Add the egg whites, basil salt and pepper into a small mixing bowl and give this a quick whisk with a fork (or mini whisk, if you have one) until slightly frothy
- Poor that mixture onto the preheated pan and swirl it around a little bit to spread your omelette evenly over the entire surface of the pan. Cover loosely (a pizza pan works wonders for this) and cook for about 5 minutes, until almost completely set and opaque.
- Spread the mushrooms and green onions on one side of your omelette then sprinkle with goat cheese. Fold "empty" side of the omelette over this filling.
- Delicately slide omelette onto serving plate and serve with a few fresh vegetables of your choice.