It had been a while since I’d had an Instant “some grain” Bake for breakfast, which is surprising because I like them so very, very much.
The thing is, though, they aren’t necessarily what you would call a light breakfast, so I tend to only have them as a post workout breakfast, and pretty often, I’m so hungry by the time I’m done working out that
I don’t my stomach doesn’t have the patience to wait for one of those babies to happen…
Not that they take THAT long to make, but when my stomach is growling and giving me hell because it wants food and it wants it now, well, I kind of have a hard time convincing it to wait until I’m done:
- one – figuring out the recipe (I always forget to do that in advance)
- two – putting said recipe together, and
- three – taking pictures, which, under the circumstances, always feels like pure torture…
But they are so good that I just have to give that stomach a good fight from time to time.
I got the idea for this one after Nora posted this gorgeous recipe for a Chocolate and Peanut Butter Quinoa Bake. She used quinoa flakes, but it got me wondering how cooked quinoa would behave in an instant bake. I had to give it a try.
Well, I am happy to report that it behaves beautifully. I’d even say, it behaves perfectly!
Quinoa seed, how I love thee!
APPLE QUINOA INSTANT BREAKFAST BAKE
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (I used home made)
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- ¼ cup spelt flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pecans, raisins and cranberries
- 1 tbsp apple syrup
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix applesauce, quinoa, egg whites and buttermilk until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients until well combined. Add applesauce mixture and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a microwave safe bowl, or dessert cup, that’s been slightly greased with a little bit of olive oil.
- Cover with a paper towel and microwave about 3 minutes to 3½ minutes depending on your microwave.
- As soon as cake comes out of the microwave oven, top it with yogurt, applesauce, chopped pecans, dried fruits and apple syrup.
- Serve immediately.