Chocolate Mint “Green” Smoothie
Here’s another surefire way to coax my stomach into getting some food into it when I’m not feeling my best and it decides to shut down on me. And since Christmas this year seems to be causing me a lot of emotional stress, well, Mr. Tummy has really entered uncooperative mode and refuses to feed normally.
Heck, he even refused pizza, today. PIZZA!
“Mhey… that dough is too soft, he said. Plus, it’s white. C’mon. Are you really going to feed me white pizza dough? Pfft, you know I don’t eat THAT! And there’s tomato sauce on it. And bell peppers. I’m not in the mood for bell peppers. So thanks, but no thanks. I’ll pass!”
I had to actually force feed it ONE poor little meager slice. That’s all I could manage.
But that smoothie? No way he could find anything wrong with that.
I mean, look at this. Would you say no to one of these?
Just please, don’t anyone read him the list of ingredients…
Because trust me, if you haven’t seen it, you’ll never guess what’s actually in it!
Can you think of a more beautiful and appetizing way to get some greens in you?
CHOCOLATE MINT GREEN SMOOTHIE
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ scoop (20g) vanilla flavored whey protein
- ¼ cup pasteurized egg whites
- 2 heaping tbsp extra dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- Cacao nibs
- Fresh mint leaves
- Add all ingredients of part one to your blender or food processor and process until smooth (a mini blender might not cut it here… spinach and mint leaves do take up a lot of room. You need the real arsenal for this one!)
- Transfer half of that mixture into a separate container and reserve.
- Add the cocoa powder and flaxseed meal to what’s left in your blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour half of that into a serving glass. Top with reserved mint mixture. Finish with the rest of the chocolate.
- Garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt, cacao nibs and mint leaves, if desired.