Coconut Shrimp Lettuce Cups
Yes, yes, I’m sorry.
These guys… again.
Although I did name them differently, this time. For no matter how much I get to practice, wraps, they obviously still aren’t!
In fact, they’re probably a lot closer to what I would call a “baluchon”.
Aw, isn’t that super poetic?
I really like that! Come to think of it, this is what I would name them if I were to give them one of those fancy schmancy French names:
“Petits baluchons de verdure aux crevettes crémeuses et à la noix de coco”
Oh, the French have a way with these things, I’m telling you!
To be fair, us Québécois aren’t really that far behind when it comes to naming dishes, EXCEPT when it comes to naming our world renowned quasi official national dish: la poutine!
Who ever thought of such an ugly name, I have no idea! But no matter which way you look at it, this name truly sucks. It doesn’t sound good at all, and it doesn’t make the dish sound good either. Mind you… the dish really ISN’T all that good, so I guess all things considered, it’s a good fit after all!
But I digress…
Let’s get back to these cute, AND TASTY little guys, shall we?
Ever since I discovered that I could use lettuce as a vessel to carry stuff to my mouth, I’ve become sort of obsessed.
Almost everything gets eaten with lettuce. Or IN lettuce, shall I say!
But hey, think about this. Lettuce thingies make for the most convenient lunch ever!
All you need to do is grab a bunch of ingredients, namely one or two sources of protein as your base, one or two sources of good, healthy fat as your “cement”, then add plenty of veggies, fruits, nuts or seeds for extra flavor and texture. Give this all a quick stir, throw it in a container, grab a few leaves of lettuce and off to work you go.
And if you’re a little bit obsessed like me, you might even become known for keeping whole heads of lettuce in the fridge at work… so you only need bring the stuffing!
Really guys, I can’t start to see the day where I will finally be fed up with these yummy little packages.
But don’t you worry, though…
I promise that I won’t share every single variety that I come up with.
Only the most interesting ones! 😉
- 150g medium size cooked shrimp, tails removed, patted dry
- ½ small avocado, diced
- 75g fresh mango, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut milk or cream
- 30g fresh coconut meat, grated (you could also use dry, unsweetened shredded coconut)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 large strawberries, diced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 birds eye chili, finely chopped
- the juice of ½ lime
- ⅛ tsp chai spice*
- Pinch Himalayan or fine sea salt
- Few grinds freshly cracked pepper
- A bunch of Boston lettuce leaves (or similar lettuce)
- In a small mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except the lettuce. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl and serve with fresh lettuce leaves.
- Spoon a little bit of the mixture onto a lettuce leaf, roll into a wrap as best you can or bunch up into some sort of a cup and eat.
- Lather, rinse, repeat until your tummy is full or you run out of lettuce leaves or shrimp mixture, or both!
- You're also allowed eating some of that shrimp by the spoonful if you want. There is no actual law against that! Same goes for the lettuce leaves. You can sneak one or two “unstuffed” leaves straight into your mouth!