Instant Seafood Pho
Sometimes, you know, sometimes, life goes FAST! Way too fast.
There are so many things to do in a day, and so very little time to accomplish it all… there’s barely enough time to breathe!
That’s pretty much where I have been at lately. Things have been pretty crazy for me, with the upcoming release of my new cookbook and all…
Still, I need to feed my body (and my blog too), you know, so I’ve been trying to come up with a few quick and tasty recipes such as this delicious Instant Seafood Pho, which I’ve been feeding on quite a lot over the past few weeks.
Let me tell you, this soup is just as tasty and nutritious as it is beautiful, and it comes together so quickly, you’ll want to have it all the time… whether you have lots of that on your hands, or not!
First, we need to soften the rice noodles some. To do that, simply pour some boiling water over them and let them soak for about 3 minutes.
While that’s happening, bring the bone broth (or chicken stock) and sriracha to a boil; next, put the chopped kale at the bottom of a large soup bowl (trust me on that one, you will want to use the largest bowl you can find) and top it with half the shrimps and bay scallops.
Oh, I like to use kale in my soup because I really enjoy how it retains its crunchy texture, even after cooking. If you’re not a fan, or if you didn’t have any on hand, you could very well replace it with an other kind of leafy green, such as spinach, bok choy, arugula, Chinese broccoli, collard greens… you get the idea!
Now drain the rice noodles and add them to the bowl, followed by the rest of the shrimp and scallops.
What’s really great about this soup is that you can change it up very easily to fit your preferences or the content of your pantry. In the protein department, if you’re not really big on seafood, thinly sliced chicken breasts, pork tenderloin or beef sirloin would make a very suitable replacement.
Alright, now pour the boiling bone broth or chicken stock right over the whole thing; cover the bowl lightly and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimps turn pink and become completely opaque.
Garnish with a handful of chopped cilantro, green onions and a slice of lime. Oh, and more sriracha, if you like it hot!
And there you have it. Dinner, in less than 10 minutes!
Surely you’ve got time for that!
Instant Seafood Pho
- 2 oz medium rice noodles
- 3 cups boiling water
- 8 large raw tiger shrimps, (size 31-40)
- 4 oz bay scallops
- 1/2 cup chopped kale, that's about one leaf, stem removed
- 2 cups bone broth or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, green part only, chopped
- Slice of lime, to serve
- Pour the boiling water over the rice noodles and let them soak for about 3 minutes to soften them up.
- Bring the bone broth (or chicken stock) and sriracha to a boil.
- Meanwhile, put the chopped kale at the bottom of a large bowl and top it with half the shrimps and bay scallops.
- Drain the rice noodles and add them to the bowl, then throw in the rest of the shrimp and scallops.
- Pour the boiling broth or stock over the whole thing, cover lightly and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimps turn pink and completely opaque.
- Garnish with the chopped cilantro, green onion and slice of lime.