Hear me out. I haven’t totally lost my mind.
I know it might sound a little strange. Cooked chicken with peaches and… candied almonds?
And seriously… CANDIED?
Whoa, wait a minute. Whatever happened to “Healthy”, Ms. Healthy Foodie? Last I checked, candy and healthy just didn’t really go hand in hand!
Hey, I totally hear you! But you know, it only takes half a teaspoon of honey to get the candied coating on these almonds. Nothing to worry about, trust me. I think we’re still on the right track here…
Seriously, when I got the inspiration for this particular salad, I wasn’t really convinced myself. I was like, really?
I think my brain forced me to do it. HE was really convinced, you see? I think it was his idea, and his alone. Yeah… I do have to give him credit for that.
I say credit, because this salad, after all, really, totally, completely BLEW MY MIND!
It was seriously the best salad I had eaten in a very long time. Well… ok, probably more like in a couple of weeks.
You know me and salads… LOVE ‘EM!
But STILL! I guarantee you that this salad right here will simply send you straight to seventh heaven.
Everything about it is just plain fa-bu-lous.
I just loved the way the mushrooms sort of wilted due to the acidity in the vinaigrette and I went totally nuts for the sweet crunchy bite that the candied almonds brought into the mix.
Add the tangy, fresh taste of the peaches, the soft chewiness of the chicken and the zesty kick of the vinaigrette, it was all just perfect. There’s just nothing that I would change about this salad.
Nothing at all.
I wouldn’t even remove the peel from the peach that goes into the salad, even though I have a very hard time handling peach skin. It gives me goose bumps, you see… sometimes I get them only looking at the fruit. It’s that bad.
But in this salad?
I actually enjoyed it. 🙂
- 1 leftover cooked chicken breast
- 2-3 cups kale, finely shredded, leaves only
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small ripe peach, peel on, diced
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- ½ tsp unpasteurized liquid honey
- 1 small ripe peach, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp unpasteurized liquid honey
- ⅛ tsp guar gum
- Add all the ingredients of the dressing to your small food processor or blender and process until nice and smooth. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a small non stick pan, over medium heat, for about 2 minutes or until they take a nice golden color. Add honey and stir until almonds are evenly coated. Remove from heat.
- Cut half your leftover chicken breast in slices and the other half in 1" cubes. Set aside.
- Add shredded kale, mushrooms and green onions to a small mixing bowl. Add vinaigrette and mix until well coated.
- Transfer to serving plate, add peaches, chicken cubes and strips, then sprinkle candied almonds.