If, like me, you have smoothies at one point or another of pretty much every day of your life, I guess you too are probably after new flavor combinations, just to change from the traditional chocolate, banana, strawberry or plain old vanilla.
Don’t get me wrong, I still like a little traditional, from time to time, but you know me and my LOOOOVE for unconventional!
Smoothies would be one place where I really like to go nuts and improvise. It’s just so easy to add a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
I usually tend to stick within more “normal” parameters, though, so I don’t share ALL of my creations with you. If I did, this site would be about nothing BUT smoothies.
Once in a while, though, I manage to come up with a flavor combo that’s just so good, I deem it worthy of sharing with the rest of the world.
It just wouldn’t be
nice fair to keep it to myself.
Especially when someone out there is so eagerly waiting to get their hands on the recipe.
You see, I can’t take all the credit for this one. It was Joann who inspired me once again during one of our conversations. Looks like she’s slowly turning into my “be all end all” source of inspiration for smoothies… well, as far as wacky and ingenious flavor combinations are concerned, anyway!
I’ll be honest, though, this one didn’t come to me easy. I had to make several attempts before I finally got the result that I was after. Every time I’d make it, there was always something missing. I mean, the taste was good and all, BUT… I don’t know. I just wouldn’t come together.
It was missing that little “je ne sais quoi”!
Then, one morning, I finally put my finger on it. AVOCADO! That’s precisely what it needed. It just made it nice and thick and creamy. It gave it the richness, the fullness that it was lacking.
This formula here has just the right amount of everything. It’s tangy, tart, creamy and sweet, and it’s got a little bit of a zing to it. The combination of the lime and ginger is so extremely refreshing, they make this smoothie absolutely perfect for the hot summer days to come.
In fact, I’m thinking I want to try and turn it into an ice cream. Oh yeah! Now wouldn’t that be something!
Now if you will please excuse me… I need to run upstairs and put that churner in the freezer!
Oh and say, Joann, start thinking of our next creation, will you? 😉
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- 45g fresh ginger, chopped (no need to peel it, really!)
- The juice and zest of 1 lime (make sure it's good and juicy)
- ¼ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup pasteurized egg whites (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut water
- 3-4 tbsp vanilla flavored whey protein
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp date paste
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to your mini blender or food processor and process until smooth
- Transfer to serving glass and garnish with a little bit of unsweetened coconut, lime zest and a slice of lime
- Take a few beats to relax and appreciate life while you savor this glorious concoction.