Smoked Salmon, Collards and Sweet Potato Breakfast Scramble
See how colorful this is guys?
Would you believe me if I told you that it was at least twice as tasty as it is colorful?
Oh yeah. It was!
That really says a lot about what to expect in the flavor department, doesn’t it!
And seriously, can you think of a more delicious, highly nutritious and super cheerful way to start your day?
I don’t think I can.
My initial inspiration for this dish had me envision some sort of a crispy sweet potato circular bed for the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon to lay on. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen quite like that.
Oh, I got a bed alright, only it ended up being a lot more comfortable than expected.
Perhaps the eggs and salmon thought they deserved a much better treatment than to lay on dry, “hay-like” crispy potatoes. They wanted soft, tender and cushion-y. A bit high maintenance, perhaps? I bet what happened is they cast some sort of a spell on my oven so that it wouldn’t even be able to make the sweet potatoes all nice and crispy.
Or *maybe* it’s just that I was too hungry and didn’t have the patience to wait that long. After 20 minutes, I took the potatoes out of the oven. I was plenty satisfied with what lay before me: 2 beautiful, bright orange discs filled with soft and tender strands of sweet potato, among which were scattered a whole bunch of dark brown, super crispy bits and pieces.
That smelled and looked amazing so I decided right then and there that it would make a proper bed!
Oh, about the potato strands… To get them done, you can use a mandolin or better yet, a vegetable spiralizer.
A vegetable spiralizer is quite simply the coolest gadget you can have in your kitchen.
Think of it: with the aid of this simple little contraption, you can turn a whole bunch of different vegetables into neverending, spaghetti like strings. All you need to do is insert the desired blade and turn the lever.
And it doesn’t cost a fortune either. So, I say if you don’t already own one, you should definitely consider investing in one.
Especially if you have kids!
I mean hey, seriously. Can you think of how much cooler a zucchini gets after it’s been made into a bunch of million-meter-long strings?
SUPER MEGA EXTRA COOOOOOOL!
Back to our breakfast… See all those darker bits of potato strands? Now these were C.R.I.S.P.Y! Like potato chips, for real.
That, combined with the buttery softness of the potatoes, the creaminess of the eggs and the delicate, slightly chewy texture of the salmon will take you straight to a place you’ll never want to return from.
Just like my daughter said, you’ll want to eat nothing but that for the rest of your life.
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Scramble
- 1 large, 450g sweet potato
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan or unrefined sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 large collard leaves, chopped`
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Pinch more salt
- Pinch more pepper
- Few gratings fresh nutmeg
- 200 g smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 tsp capers
- 1-2 tsp red onion, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 pizza sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potato into long thin strips using a mandolin or vegetable spiralizer. Add to a large mixing bowl along with melted coconut oil, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until the potato strings are well coated in oil.
- Divide the potatoes between the 2 pizza sheets and spread them evenly to create 2 large discs. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked and start to brown a little bit.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the collards to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Reserve in a separate container.
- Place your skillet back over medium heat and melt a little bit of coconut oil. Add the eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring gently until completely cooked but still on the soft side. Kill the heat, delicately stir in reserved collards, smoked salmon, capers and red onions.
- Remove potato discs from the oven and gently slide them onto serving plates; top with egg mixture and serve immediately.