Update: A few people reported to having a hard time getting these Cauliflower Fritters to stay together, so I came up with a “New and Improved” version! I strongly recommend you check it out!
Sometimes, having close to nothing in the fridge gives birth to the most extraordinary dishes.
It certainly was the case for these delicious little fritters.
You see, I always like to keep my fridge more on the empty side… That way, I get to see exactly what’s in it as soon as I open the door.
That way, I run a lesser risk of forgetting something that’s completely in the back, or under a pile of something else.
That way, it’s much easier for me to plan my meals efficiently, for I can see exactly what’s left in the fridge when I put together my grocery shopping list.
And when it gets to the point when there’s close to nothing left in it, well, once in a while, I like to stretch it for a few days and not hit the grocery store, just to see if I couldn’t find a way to use up every last bit that’s still in there… well, except for that jar of pickles, the bottle of soy sauce, and that carton of milk… you know! 😉
I mostly try and use up all the perishables, the produce that I bought in excess because it was on sale and I got carried away, or because I didn’t necessarily need the whole thing in a particular recipe.
Well, had it not been for that “strange” habit of mine, these fritters might have never come to life, because you see, I created them on precisely such an occasion. Trust me, there wasn’t much left in the fridge that night. There, all alone on a shelf, sat half a cauliflower that was begging to be eaten. He told me that he was getting way lonely in there. The eggs and yogurt didn’t want to play with him…
How he went from cute little florets to delicious little patties, though, is a mystery to me. It’s my brain did it, really. It wasn’t even my idea. I just handed it the reins and let it go at it.
I have to say that he did a hell of a job! I think I liked these fritters even better than I did the zucchini version, and that is not something to be taken lightly.
Just as with that other version, though, you are looking at a super quick and versatile light meal that’s super low in carbs, but that will fools your brain into believing that it’s actually feeding on delicious grains, which is just perfect for me now!
These make for an awesome lunch too, for they are highly portable and you can eat them warm or cold. They reheat beautifully in the microwave: just pop them in there for a few seconds, mabye a minute, and voilà! You’re all set.
Hey, you could even eat them with your fingers if you wanted to.
Just make sure no one is watching! 😉
- Half a large head cauliflower
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Cut cauliflower into little florets and add to the bowl of your food processor. Process on pulse until cauliflower has texture of large grains of cracked wheat. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a frying pan and carefully drop about ¼ of a cup of mixture for each fritter.
- Cook three or four fritters at a time for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown, then keep warm while you cook the remaining fritters.
- Serve warm (I like them cold also) with a few fresh vegetables or a nice green salad.