I’ve officially crossed the line, people.
I’m totally committed to this paleo thing now…
I HAD BACON!
Not only this once, but another time after that also (wait ‘til you see THAT recipe!)
But wait! That’s not all.
WOOHOO! That means in 3 weeks, I will have a freezer full of happy, well cared for and well fed meat.
I so can’t wait! Now, I’m really all set to give the paleo lifestyle a real, official go.
Not that it hadn’t been official yet, mind you… I’ve been eating strictly paleo for well over 2 months now, but up until now, all my meat came straight from the grocery store.
Except for that bacon.
It was of utmost important to me that, if I was going to have bacon, it be made from organic pastured pork and be entirely antibiotic, hormones AND sugar free. Because well, GOOD fat is good for you, but fat that comes from poorly raised animals isn’t.
It had been ages since I’d last had bacon and to be honest, I felt really strange eating this.
For years now, I’ve been conditioned to believe that bacon was the pinnacle of unhealthy foods, that it was nothing but a bunch of fat and that it would do nothing for me but clog my arteries big time.
But I’m slowly changing my views on the subject…
So, since I’d been drooling for years now over the Sprouts / Bacon combo, it felt only normal that my first time having bacon after so long would be as a part of this recipe.
Man oh man was that good!
Two of my ultimate favorite foods in the whole wide world reunited in one single dish.
Smokey, nutty and sweet; Tender and crispy… That’s heaven in a bowl, right here!
I can’t even begin to express how happy I am at the thought that I’ll be able to have this one on a regular basis and not feel ONE BIT guilty about it.
I so know what I’ll be making as soon as my meat order comes in!
- 1kg Brussels sprouts
- 150g (4-5 slices) sugar free organic bacon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp unpasteurized honey
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Himalayan or fine sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half. Reserve in a large mixing bowl.
- Dice bacon slices and sprinkle over the sprouts.
- In a seperate container, mix olive oil, garlic, mustard, honey, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix until very well combined and pour over reserved sprouts and bacon. Mix to coat evenly and spread in a single layer in a shallow baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, turning once or twice, until the sprouts are tender and golden and the bacon is crispy.
Add Brussels sprouts and bacon to a mixing bowl
Pour in delicious sauce (don’t eat it all by the spoonful!)
Spread on lined baking sheet
Bake until beautiful and golden brown and nice and tender and so crispy and oh so deliciously fragrant!
Transfer to a serving bowl and share with your friends and family!
HEY! Where are you going with that bowl?
I said SHARE!