I LOVE generating leftovers.
Seriously, most of my favorite dishes lately have sprung to life thanks to my beloved leftovers.
So much so that I’ve gotten into the habit of cooking large roasts or pieces of meat on the week-end and feed off of them for the rest of the week.
Like, I wouldn’t hesitate for even one second to roast an entire turkey even if I knew I’d have to eat it all by myself.
Because yes, I’m still pretty much mainly cooking only for one… Sad, I know, but I have to admit that it makes things A LOT easier sometimes, especially when it comes to meal planning.
For instance, if I roast a small turkey, it KNOW that it will generate somewhere around 10-12 meals for me.
So I can plan accordingly, and think of all sorts of different ways that I can use the “leftovers”.
This amazing breakfast hash I made using the leftovers from my Maple Glazed Spicy Apple Roasted Turkey. The apples that had baked inside the turkey were particularly delicious and there was no way I was gonna let them to go to waste.
So I decided to pan fry them along with some nice big chunks of turkey. That is such a winning flavor combo to me!
That alone made for a great foundation, but I really needed to add more substance to the dish.
Old me would’ve probably added some sort of a grain to the equation, most probably buckwheat.
But new me found an even more delicious way to elevate this fabulous foundation to new heights.
In went a bunch of beautiful, vibrant green broccoli for some added color and texture (not to mention vitamins and all that other nutritious stuff), a handful of cashews for a bit of a nutty and creamy bite, and last but not least, two delicious pan fried eggs got to sit right on top of this pile of goodness, just to sort of cement everything together.
And that, my friends, was a memorable breakfast.
Of course, you absolutely do not need to have previously made THIS particular turkey in order to whip this baby up. You can very well use fresh cooking apples, such as Royal Gala, Fuji or Golden Delicious, and any leftover turkey or chicken that happen to have sitting in the fridge.
What if you don’t even have leftover turkey or chicken?
Don’t let even that stop you! Simply grab a boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut it into small pieces and follow the same instructions, only you’ll need to leave the chicken for a bit longer until it is completely cooked before you add the rest of the ingredients.
It’s as simple as that!
And I get the feeling that this is precisely what will be happening in this foodie’s kitchen no later than tomorrow morning!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 red apple*, cut into small cubes
- 150g cooked turkey, cut into small cubes
- 150g broccoli, florets only
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 25g raw cashews
- 2 whole eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add coconut oil to small non-stick pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the pieces of turkey, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until nice and golden brown ;
- Add apples and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli in a small bowl and add one tablespoon of water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave for one minute. Remove, drain water and add broccoli to the turkey and apples. Stir in cashews, adjust seasoning and continue cooking for about 30 seconds; transfer to a deep plate and reserve;
- Return pan to the heat, add more oil if necessary and pan fry the eggs to your liking; carefully place them over the chicken mixture and serve immediately.
I’ve always loved my pan fried eggs to have a nice, gold and crispy edge…
…as well as a deliciously runny yolk!
I really wish you could smell that… maybe if you came closer?