I remember a time when I used to eat lots of Mexican food: Enchiladas, Tortillas, Tacos…
The kids used to absolutely love it, ESPECIALLY the Tacos.
My ex, however, well… not so much. He used to say that Tacos were the absolute messiest thing to eat and as a result, he was pretty much disgusted with them.
We ended up fighting practically every single time I made them.
As a mother, I was torn. I knew that making tacos would make my kids so happy, but I also knew that it would make the boyfriend super grumpy.
I eventually came up with several different ways to offer the family some great dishes that still contained all the flavors of a taco but that didn’t include the actual shell that would invariably fall apart and cause all the stuffing to spill all over the place and make such a “huge mess” in the process.
And I tried to keep them healthy, too!
Kind of like this dish here (although it might not have been quite AS nutritious back then…)
I now choose to ditch the taco shells, but for entirely different reasons!
Had I known then what I know now, the crispy, crunchy, and highly brittle shells might never even have raised a single argument in this household!
This breakfast bowl here has all the flavor of a good ole Mexican Taco in the shell, but non of the downsides.
Plus, it’s chock full of highly nutritious ingredients: ground beef, eggs, tomatoes, bell peppers, olives, avocado…
Can you think of a better way to start your day?
Oh, and if Mexican first thing in the morning isn’t your thing, feel free to save this one for lunch or dinner!
Whatever time of day you decide to enjoy this, I’m sure that you, and the rest of the family, will absolutely love it!
- 150g leftover cooked grass-fed ground beef*
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground chipotle or chili pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, mashed with a fork
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, diced
- 10-12 black olives, pitted and cut in half
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 tbsp Paleo Mayo
- Generous pinch of cumin
- The juice of ½ lime
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Dice the avocado and put it to marinate in 1 tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- While that’s happening, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cooked ground beef, half the tomato, the cumin, ground chipotle and onion powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato starts to get a little bit mushy, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a shallow bowl and arrange it around the perimeter of the bowl. Layer the rest of the ingredients, starting with the hard boiled eggs, followed by the bell peppers and the rest of the tomatoes. Finally, top with the black olives and marinated avocado.
- Mix a generous pinch of cumin with about one tablespoon of homemade mayo and pour that over the top. Sprinkle the juice of half a lime and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Dig right in, and enjoy!
If you happen to have a great spicy salsa on hand, feel free to scoop some of it right on top of all this…
Look at all the good stuff that’s hiding in there!
Can’t go wrong with Mexican flavors, can you?